PDA

View Full Version : saving forms as you go

CenZ
03-30-2006, 05:19 PM
ok so i need a form that saves as you go, say there is 30 feilds, you fill out 10, proceed, fill out another 10 proceed then you realize you dont have the time to do the next 10 so you close the browser. next tim you go back to the form it either knows everything you put in for the first 20 so you dont have to fill it out again or it takes right to the last 10 dont care how its done... im pretty sure it uses a cookie, but im not positive.

mangofreak
03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
My suggestion would be to do it using a db. where you can save your form's content with a check box to show or not show your content and offer the user an edit option to go bakc and complete or fix their stuff.

Cookies can be deleted and may not be the right thing to do, but don't quote me on that because I don't know the in and outs of cookies.

that's just an idea.

davidj
03-31-2006, 07:52 AM
the problem with using a database is that you have to identify the user before you can locate what fields they have previously entered which would mean a login system.

you could use a cookie but as mangofreak pointed out they can be deleted

what do you fancy... database or cookie

Creative Insanity
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Can I have a cookie DJ? LOL

I just finished making a e site and they wanted no logins so I used a cookie. It can hold the settings for what ever you set it for, from 1 day to 30 if you want.. or a year, but a year would be silly. But anyway the cookie system is great and as long as you tell them the site uses cookies and deleting them would cancel out all data from them.

davidj
03-31-2006, 09:09 AM
database is better for you. Less calories

Creative Insanity
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Calories are good.. it is just an old wives tale that they are not. LOL