PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone please help me with extending my banner/footer?!!

Patz
03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Hello all,

I know a bit about flash and actionscript but have a phobia of html and dreamweaver! Have tried tutorials till i'm blue in the face but still can never get things to do as I want them in DW.

I've just put together a sketch of a site in photoshop, which is here -
http://uzugexe.com/amp.html

The guy I'm making the site for now wants it to stretch to fill the browser, making the site more of a 'landscape' one than as opposed to portrait - having to scroll to see the bottom as it is now....

So how can I achieve it with this design? The graphic of the 'decks and speakers' you see on the far right would obviously move as you extended the browser to keep to the edge, but the texture behind it would have to stay the same. So I guess the way to do this would be to tile the texture in a 100% table, and the decks/speaker graphic would float over the top as a transparent gif in its own table...right?! Only I just can't for the life of me make things 'sit' in the right place. The graphic is never floating where I want it, either that or it just stays in the same place as the browser is extended.

I would also have to do the same with the footer - the silhouetted crowd at the bottom would keep to the edge as the browser is extended, while whatever is behind it would stay.

Can anyone help me or give any suggestions how to achieve this with this design? Or would it maybe be quicker to come up with an alternative?

Any tips much appreciated

Pat

dthomsen8
03-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Hello all,

I know a bit about flash and actionscript but have a phobia of html and dreamweaver! Have tried tutorials till i'm blue in the face but still can never get things to do as I want them in DW.

I've just put together a sketch of a site in photoshop, which is here -
http://uzugexe.com/amp.html

The guy I'm making the site for now wants it to stretch to fill the browser, making the site more of a 'landscape' one than as opposed to portrait - having to scroll to see the bottom as it is now....

So how can I achieve it with this design? The graphic of the 'decks and speakers' you see on the far right would obviously move as you extended the browser to keep to the edge, but the texture behind it would have to stay the same. So I guess the way to do this would be to tile the texture in a 100% table, and the decks/speaker graphic would float over the top as a transparent gif in its own table...right?! Only I just can't for the life of me make things 'sit' in the right place. The graphic is never floating where I want it, either that or it just stays in the same place as the browser is extended.

I would also have to do the same with the footer - the silhouetted crowd at the bottom would keep to the edge as the browser is extended, while whatever is behind it would stay.

Can anyone help me or give any suggestions how to achieve this with this design? Or would it maybe be quicker to come up with an alternative?

Any tips much appreciated

Pat

The guy who is asking for a change in the design is expecting a lot of you.

What I suppose he wants is a design with a fixed column for the menu on the left, and a fluid column with the text on the right. You could place a fixed image beneath the fixed column, and use a tiled background for the fluid column on the right. This can be done with CSS, or it can be done with tables. While it could be done with frames, most developers today try to avoid frames.

This leaves you with the question you raise, what do you do about the header and footer in the design you provide for us?. Can you center the images and fill in on the right and left?

Perhaps you are right, and you need to rethink and redo the whole design. I must say that I admire your skill in developing the graphic you show us.

Maybe someone else has a better technical solution for you. I hope my rather rambling response gets you to think about the issues the guy who is asking for changes is raising for you to solve.

Patz
03-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your reply!

What I suppose he wants is a design with a fixed column for the menu on the left, and a fluid column with the text on the right. You could place a fixed image beneath the fixed column, and use a tiled background for the fluid column on the right.

Yeah this is the idea, I can just about deal with this!

This can be done with CSS, or it can be done with tables.

I know how to do this kind of thing with tables, but how would you go about doing this with CSS? Are there any tutorials you can point me in the direction of for this?

So basically, the fixed column on the left and having the tiled image as the page to stretch is fairly easily done...but the header and footer?! :(
If anyone could enlighten me on a way of keeping it as similar as possible while stretching I would be most grateful!

The guy I'm doing it for said that if it comprimised the desgin too much then to not worry about it. So I was thinking that maybe a background texture (instead of stark white) to fill the page could save it, and maybe centering the whole thing instead of having it glued to the left side. Any other ideas on how I could improve on it as it is?

Patz
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone?! :(

domedia
04-03-2006, 04:11 PM
If you already know how to use tables, use them. Use relative widths to make the site extend with the browser, and spend your free time reading about CSS ;)