PDA

View Full Version : Default files in directories

svek808
03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I have finished my site, but I can't work out how to access it without including the page name.
How can I have it coming up with just the normal address?
At the moment it is www.tomdunkley.com/fashion1.html
Please can anyone help, I know that I'm being stupid!

thanks
[/url]

domedia
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Your host should have told you what the default files for directories are, most likely index.html (of not try index.htm, home.html but the *real* answer will come from your host.)

dthomsen8
03-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I have finished my site, but I can't work out how to access it without including the page name.
How can I have it coming up with just the normal address?
At the moment it is www.tomdunkley.com/fashion1.html
Please can anyone help, I know that I'm being stupid!

thanks
[/url]

Tom,

The technical answer that domedia gave is quite correct, but I would say that your real problem is one of structure. You have six detail pages, but no true home page leading to those six pages.

Beyond that, I always say that users want to know where you are. Providing only telelphone numbers does not satisfy that elementary desire to know where you are. I can guess that you are in the UK somewhere, but remember that the whole wide world will be able to find your site in search engines, and then will wonder where you are.

johnph77
03-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Your host should have told you what the default files for directories are, most likely index.html (of not try index.htm, home.html but the *real* answer will come from your host.)
This is usually the case. The links to the other pages on your site would be located here. When the index page is in place people would be able to access your site simply through "http://www.tomdunkley.com", without the "index.html" or "index.htm" being necessary in the link address.

And it's not the dumbest question ever. I've already asked that one.