PDA

View Full Version : Can't import video into Flash

Maggie
03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I have no idea why this isn't working..... but when I try to import a video into Flash, I can't find the file. In other words, Flash (using MX2004) isn't recognizing it for some reason. It's sitting right on my desktop.... an MP4 file...... so why can't flash see this?

domedia
03-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you importaing the video into Flash or Dreamweaver?

To import into Flash 8 Pro, you should use the Flash Video Encoder to create a FLV file instead (flash's own video format that streams).

Maggie
03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to import the video into Flash (MX 2004) instead of DW because it is a MP4 file that opens with QuickTime and I thought it would be better to use Flash to play the video.

I can't figure out why Flash can't see this file. It's driving me nuts! I'm trying to import on to the stage, but when I browse for the file --that I know is on my desktop, it can see everything on my desktop except the MP4 file!!

domedia
03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Hiya Maggie,
You need to convert the file to FLV, see my comment above.

Maggie
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I hate to ask this, but how do I do that? :(

On my Flash tutorials it says you can import different file types.... including mpg.

I just copied this from my Flash help:

If you have QuickTime 4 or later (Windows or Macintosh) or DirectX 7 or later (Windows only) installed on your system, you can import embedded video clips in a variety of file formats, including MOV (QuickTime movie), AVI (Audio Video Interleaved file), and MPG/MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group file). You can import linked video clips in MOV format.

domedia
03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I hate to ask this, but how do I do that? :(
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/video_guide.html :)

Maggie
03-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Domedia, your help is appreciated.... just wanted to say that.

I read the doc but I am using Flash MX 2004... not 8... maybe that's part of the problem? Even that doc said I should be able to convert on import... what I don't get is why can't Flash see the file I want to import?? It is seeing every other file on my computer!

My goal is to put a video I have on my DW website. It's a Quicktime video, and a friend told me that there would be a lot of people who couldn't view it if they didn't have QuickTime..... I'm starting to think I'm going to have to just use the QT video, and maybe put a QT download button on my webpage...... any suggestions or do you think this is the route I'll have to go.

(Obviously I'm new at this, thanks for your patience)

domedia
03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
There's virtually tons of info on video and flash on the macromedia website.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/video.html

I can give you the general idea how to to this (I touched this above as well)
1. Convert the movie file to the Flash FLV format (I use the 'Flash 8 Video Encoder' software that came with Flash 8 Pro).
2. Embed the FLV file into your FLA file by importing it into Flash.