PDA

View Full Version : Which database?

Jim_Shady
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey all,

After some general 'ammunition' please...!?

Just started working at a new place in London and have found that most of the central systems are being ran using FileMakerPro! I'm dissapointed as I'm an ACCESS/SQL man myself. Anyway... there's a new project coming up that I'd like to get hold of and probably build in Access, then in a year or so move it over to SQL... and the boss isn't sure whether to go for Access (me) or someone else in the department (FileMakerPro).

So my question is obvious - can anyone give me some good comments as to why Access is better than FileMakerPro?

Bit different to some of the normal posts on here!

Shady

davidj
03-29-2006, 10:36 AM
you forgot to include one of the most used

MYSQL

Creative Insanity
03-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah I agree with DJ.. mysql is used by more and more these days for the simple reason it is good, stable (unlike access) and FREE!
From those 2 I would pick FileMaker for the simple reason I have had years with FM and made many databases with it and their developer version rocks and with that the customer does not even have to buy the program as you can set it up as a standalone exe file.. try that with Access. LOL

desertdirk
03-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Sell him on mysql. There won't be a learning curve since you already know sql.

I don't have any experience with FM but I know in access it seems like if you want any complexity you need to know visual basic and have to do a bunch of code writing

Creative Insanity
03-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Sell you on mysql?? it's free, do you need anymore?
I know all 3 and would use FM for anything local and major for the simple reason it uses apple script and that is way easier than anything MS could think of. Also access is a crash dummy.

In my last job one of the teachers and myself built the schools database for the network which catered for 8 schools. Five primary, 2 intermediates and one college, so it was universal and very robust. We had one simular in Access but after 8 consecutive connections the stupid thing crashed and it forced a server restart which as you can imagine is not good on a network in up time.
So we remade it with FileMaker Pro 5 and it rocked and never crashed once in 11 years.

Mysql would be more robust than FM, and it is free and there are heaps of free info about it on the net. The only draw back with mysql is that it needs php or simular which requires a server.

davidj
03-30-2006, 06:44 AM
From those 2 I would pick FileMaker

also coz CI loves msoft

Jim_Shady
03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Didn't want to go down the MySQL / SQL route because my PHP/ASP is weak. I'm sure I could eventually get there but I'd be teaching myself some bits and bobs as I go along - which for a personal project would be fine - but not at work!

Creative Insanity
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Jim, where do you think I learnt all that I know? Yep at work. I learnt as I needed to know and that is how most of life goes isn't it?

Oh DJ, now don't you kick Billy boy in the butt when you get out of his bed now will you. LOL

Jim_Shady
03-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Well yeah - thats where I learnt most of my stuff before - but the job I'm in now isn't an IT job - so spending a few days learning something might be abit dodgy when there is someone else in the office who can do it!

Creative Insanity
03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah true. I guess I was lucky that I was my own boss for 9 years and the last 11years before I retired I was working for a network and spent most of the day on my own which was cool cause I could do all sorts of stuff.

edbr
04-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Has to be filemaker for me. It is very easy to adapt for your own needs, has a very good final look on screen. I have used it i my agency (employment) for a couple of years and my staff without any experience of databases and some without much computer experience have found it easy to use.