PDA

View Full Version : New Document Window

dthomsen8
03-27-2006, 11:40 PM
The Dreamweaver MX 2004 New Document Window allows me to make a basic page, or CSS style sheets, or a variety of other new documents.

What I want to do is create a different Basic Page, with other information in the <head> section from the standard Basic Page supplied by Macromedia.

The obvious answer is going to be, use templates. My question is, I want the new document to be entirely editable, nothing kept back from my own changes. Can I do that?

Beyond that, is the "Basic Page" supplied by Macromedia fixed, or can it be changed? Or, can additional "Basic Page" type entries be added to the DW supplied list? In other words, are templates the only way?

davidj
03-28-2006, 07:16 AM
you could mod a basic page yourself and call that my_template.htm

then just save as under a proper name. When you want to create a new document just open your my_template.htm document and use save as again

dthomsen8
03-28-2006, 10:19 AM
you could mod a basic page yourself and call that my_template.htm

then just save as under a proper name. When you want to create a new document just open your my_template.htm document and use save as again

Yes, I am already doing that with three pages that I am working with to make sure I have the two column layout and the button navigation working. What concerns me is the link checking and link correction that DW does behind the scenes, and could easily go wrong. Maybe that is not a pitfall, but rather than fall into a pit, I am asking about it first.

I have been trying the alternative of a template with almost everything editable, but I am getting an error message. <sigh>