PDA

View Full Version : Using Layers and problems with older browsers.... need info

Maggie
03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
I created my site in DW using layers.

Now I'm hearing that something like 20% of browsers can't view these properly.... (I have not published yet, so this isn't based on my own actual stats).... Is this true?

Does anybody here use layers and if so, are you having browser issues???

Why doesn't Netscape 4 get with the program? :evil: Why do so many people still have Netscape 4??

Any suggestions? I really DON'T want to redo my site with tables.... I like the layer option so much better! help...

gmcrone
03-28-2006, 04:11 AM
I just did a quick check on a dozen of my websites.
According to my stats an entire .86% of my users use a browser not capable of using CSS properly.

Netscape 4 is less than 1/2 of 1% of my users.

I don't know who came up with your 20% figure, but they are sadly mistaken.

Mike...

dthomsen8
03-28-2006, 11:13 AM

Now I'm hearing that something like 20% of browsers can't view these properly.... (I have not published yet, so this isn't based on my own actual stats).... Is this true?

Why doesn't Netscape 4 get with the program? :evil: Why do so many people still have Netscape 4??

Any suggestions? I really DON'T want to redo my site with tables.... I like the layer option so much better! help...

Dreamweaver MX 2004 and later versions will automatically convert a site done with layers to tables, and vice-versa. So, keep doing your development with layers, but publish onto the web with tables.

gmcrone
03-28-2006, 01:13 PM

Dreamweaver MX 2004 and later versions will automatically convert a site done with layers to tables, and vice-versa. So, keep doing your development with layers, but publish onto the web with tables.

DW will not convert your layers to tables without you specifically asking it to.
Use layers or as DW calls them div's as they considerably make your code easier to read and shrink page size down (using CSS for styling)

Mike...

Maggie
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I just did a quick check on a dozen of my websites.
According to my stats an entire .86% of my users use a browser not capable of using CSS properly.

Netscape 4 is less than 1/2 of 1% of my users.

I don't know who came up with your 20% figure, but they are sadly mistaken.

Mike...

Thanks for letting me know this Mike!! I can live with .5%

Get this, the person who told me this is somebody who is getting ready to teach a DW class next Saturday. I called to ask some questions (before I spend $250.) and this guy isn't even going to cover layers.... only tables! When I asked why he said to many browser problems.

I'm wondering if maybe he just doesn't like to use layers himself? I love using layers...... I guess I need to find another class.

Thanks again Mike, your stats made me feel a lot better :D

domedia
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Get this, the person who told me this is somebody who is getting ready to teach a DW class next Saturday. I called to ask some questions (before I spend $250.) and this guy isn't even going to cover layers.... only tables! When I asked why he said to many browser problems.

I'm wondering if maybe he just doesn't like to use layers himself? I love using layers...... I guess I need to find another class.
There are many, many horror stories about the knowledge level among web development/design teachers, from evening classes all the way to colleges. The industry is still so new, so it's difficult for many institutions to determine if a person has real knowledge about the topic, all while it's an area with huge demand for offering these classes.

In your case it would probably be a better option to spend the $250 in books, and study yourself and use online tutorials and articles. The level of CSS support in the browser landscape should be *basic* knowledge for anyone thinking of teaching Dreamweaver.

Maggie
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I agree Domedia, I decided to keep the $250. I am registered with a company that has a paid service for tutorials. $25 a month for unlimited access to their library, so far it has been WELL worth it. I'll be glad to post the name if it's allowed here.

I still want to find a good class though if I can. I've been trying to teach myself..... and I'm doing okay, but it sure would be nice to have some one on one with somebody who really knows DW. I feel like I could learn so much if I could pick their brain.

Thanks for the help and suggestions you guys.