PDA

View Full Version : Import existing website

HomeSurfer
03-27-2006, 05:44 AM
I have an existing web site that we are just developing. What exists right now was not set up with Dreamweaver.

What I cannot figure out is how to open it up so that I can begin to work on it with Dreavweaver -- in the process learning how Dreamweaver works.

This is what happens. I open up Dreamweaver and get the traditional Dreamweaver start page with...
-- Open a Recent Item
-- Create from Samples
Well, I don't really want to do any of those. I want to open an existing web for the first time using Dreamweaver and begin to learn how Dreamweaver works.

So...using the top menu, I can go to "File", scroll down and click on "open" and I get five choices...
-- My recent documents
-- Desktop
-- My Documents
-- My Computer
-- My Network
The only one that seems to "fit" is "My Network" (since this web is...well, on the web.

So I click on "My Network" and sure enough, my websites are listed there. All of them. I highlight the one I want, click on "open" and I get a list of the folders that are in the web, but it doesn't actually open the web so I can work on it.

I don't get it.

(So I went out and bought two MORE manuals, simpler ones than the FAT one I have. "Dreamweaver 8 for Dummies" and "Dreamweaver 8 in 24 Hours." Hopefully, you guys will help me out before I do too much reading. I tend to learn better by "doing" and figuring things out as I go).

Also, just curious -- sometimes the avatars seem to be up and sometimes they are broken images. I like avatars because it makes it easier to remember everyone -- I'm really lousy with names at first).

edbr
03-27-2006, 06:20 AM
you are going to have to create the site on your computer There are some video training sessions on this site which wil rerhaps help you as you will be able to 'do' by shown example. this is the link

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/

HomeSurfer
03-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Okay.

So basically, I'm going to have to import the existing site onto my computer. Then I can "play" around with it and "publish" any pages that I changed. Will it require any kind of special servers on my computer, since much of the site is built using ColdFusion.

Keep in mind, I am a technical moron.

I don't want to screw up all the ColdFusion work my partner has done because that is the "engine" that drives the site. We create db pages, then publish certain categories to .html pages to aid in SEO stuff. Mainly, I'm just working on the flat pages, navigation, structure, general idea, and major pathway pages.

I figured that since Dreamweaver and Coldfusion had the same developer, there wouldn't be as many potential conflicts between the db stuff and the WYSIWYG editor, plus I could learn some new stuff, like CSS.

Does that sound about right?

edbr
03-27-2006, 06:53 AM
as one tech moron to another it sounds right to me. You can set up a testing server on your pc and play around to your hearts content.

HomeSurfer
03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Testing server. You HAD to throw someting in that I didn't understand, didn't you? (humor). I'll look it up in the "help" files.

Jim_Shady
03-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Don't worry about the 'testing server' bit yet. You don't need that unless you're going to be working using active pages - which you aren't if you're only going to be working on the layout and navigation etc.

Creative Insanity
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
For cold fusion you are going to have to install a webserver of some kind (apache would be my choice) and then from Macromedias site install ColdFusion MX.

HomeSurfer
03-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Okay. I'll come back to this after the first of the month and try setting up a coldfusion server on my computer.

In the meantime, I have some "end of the month" work on my old site (which uses FrontPage). The Dreamweaver stuff is my attempt to learn something new with cleaner code and CSS, something I never used before.

Secretly, I'm hoping learning something new helps stave off the onset of Alzheimers (humor).