PDA

View Full Version : CSS text file not working properly Stumped!

Shadow
03-25-2006, 01:21 AM
I wrote my text.CSS file, and have 800 pages using it in a template and nested template setup. I had an initial problem, where in the head statement, Dreamweaver put a link to the CSS file, which was ||C/foldername/test.css. It was in the root of the folder I use for this website. Someone pointed this out to me, so I removed the link to the C: drive, and changed it to:
<link href="text.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">, as it resides with the Index.htm file.

So here is what happend before the change: The webpages shoud be black background, with mostly white text. It was white background, and you couldn't read the text. (On saving the BASE template file with this statement, files were updates based on "template".

What happened after the Change in script above in the HEAD statement:
Only the index.htm file has a blackbackground, all pages which link off this this index page are white backgrounds. So not all pages are finding the text.css file, I presume.

So here is my question, and I'm a self taught newby learning here---
Where should the text.css file be stored on my hardrive, which should FTP up to my webservice in the same folder, to prevent this?
Root of my folder for this domainname?
In the templates folder of this domainname?
or if either is ok, what am I not listing properly in this HEAD statement so all pages display a black background.

domain is www.artistsnartisans.com

I've done one other website with text.css file and it worked fine, the only difference here that I can see, is I've copied a Nested folder with template info and examples up to the server as a backup.

Stumped in Wisconsin. Thanks much guys. Help me out, I'll buy ya beer, bottle of wine and if you live on the way to Missouri, I'll drop it off on my way by.

Shadow

Creative Insanity
03-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Ok on all your other pages because you have then in a sub folder called Country change the css like in those files to.

link href="../text.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Shadow
03-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I noticed that as well, for all 800 pages. Isn't there an easier way to do this, than manually editing every page?

Gosh I would sure hope so.

thanks shadow

Creative Insanity
03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes there is.
Go to code view and press Ctrl + F
Set for document source and complete site.
Copy and paste into the find option
text.css"
and in the change to field add
../text.css"

Then you only need to change the index page back to
text.css"

Done.

If you created your site within the files tab in DW this would of not happened in the first place.

domedia
03-25-2006, 08:53 PM
If you had built your website using a DW Template, it would as easy as editing the template, and it would change all the pages for you.
ANother way to do it could be to use an include file for your CSS.
In PHP you could do something like this on every page:
<head>
<? include('styles.inc'); ?>
etc.
And then in the styles.inc :
<link href="http://www.artistsnartisans.com/text.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">