PDA

View Full Version : Problem Pasting Text Into an Editable Region

James927
03-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Hi,
I ran a search on this and didn't come up with anything, so I'm hoping this isn't a redundant question. While creating a site using a DWT I imported a lot of text via cut and paste with no problem. I now am trying to cut and paste into an editable region on a page and cannot do so. I can cut and paste from within the region but not from outside (Notepad). It's definately an editable region because I've edited some text within the region itself.
I just can't paste anything into it.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
James

Creative Insanity
03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Go to the code view and grab the test from there.

James927
03-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm unclear on how your answer helps me.
Could you explain?
I didn't have to get my text from the code view when I was pasting text into the page before.
James

chriskq
03-24-2006, 04:46 AM
well regardless James, you still should be able to paste the content you want on your page within whatver table cell (or div) you want it displayed

Do u kno how to switch views in DM.
top left on main nav thingy from memory there is a:
0 Design View (interface view)
0 Code view (all the code)
0 Spilt view.

this should be pretty basic stuff, so i hope im not sounding like im patronising you.

to add thou: good work cutn' n pasting from notepad, as word will give you symbols for some characters, which show up on the web as a question mark. (althou the ' commer still shows as a word commer from notepad for some reason)

Creative Insanity
03-24-2006, 07:44 AM
See image for view options

James927
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies! I am familiar with the different views but appreciate you mentioning them. I recently upgraded to version 8 (from 3) so as to be able to work with css better. I use dreamweaver so I can work in the design view and not have to deal with the code. At least not for something as simple as pasting additional text into a page. The page I'm working on is a list of names, phone numbers and emails that are being inserted (alphabetically) between other names in various areas of the list. Pasting them into the dreamweaver code view seems like a lot more work than pasting into the design view. I find that there's just too much code in the code view! ;= )
I guess my real question is "why can't I paste into the design view like I could when I created the page? Should I reinstall Dreamweaver or is there a setting that I inadvertently changed"?
Thanks again, James

James927
03-24-2006, 08:58 PM
One other thing - I have no problem cutting (or copying) the text from notepad. And a notepad text file shows up in dreamweaver as code view only - no design view option. My difficulty is pasting text (from notepad or elsewhere) into the web page I'm working on.
Thanks again for any help,
James

Creative Insanity
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I remember you saying this was in an edable region.. are you making sure that the cursor is actually in the edable region?

James927
03-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the reply again. I appreciate your time. Yes, I've made sure that my curser is in the region. Good question though. I am hoping that it is something like that - some simple thing that I'm just "spacing out" on.
Thanks, James