PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used sIFR 2.0: ??

chriskq
03-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Well this is very new to me, and i still dont 100% understand its usuage as a whole. I've been asked to look into it - (possible design point for a website)
has anyone had any experience using this

for those that dont kno what im crapping on about check it out here:
http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/

Creative Insanity
03-23-2006, 07:07 AM
I think this baby would be best for Mike to explain.. he is into this typo stuff.

gmcrone
03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Scalable Inman Flash Replacement (siFR)

I haven't used it but I think I understand the principle behind it.

When you want to use a particular font not available on most users machines you can use siFr to replace certain text elements on your page with flash.

Basically say you wanted to use Garamond for H1 elements.

e.g. <h1> this is a test </h1>

Include the jscript file in your HTML or point to an external js file. This js file comes with the siFR download.

Then you add the variables to find what you want replaced
if(typeof sIFR == "function"){
sIFR.replaceElement("h1", named({sFlashSrc: "./test.swf", sColor: "#000", sCase: "upper"}));
};

Then in your CSS file you id the replacement element
.sIFR-hasFlash h1 {
visibility: hidden;
}

You then open the sifr.fla file and add the text you want in the font you want and export as test.swf (as named above)

When a user goes to your page the H1 heading will be replaced by the swf file, if the user doesn't have flash or js turned on they will still see your H1 but in the normal body text only.

Mike...

ranjan
03-23-2006, 01:14 PM
You then open the sifr.fla file and add the text you want in the font you want and export as test.swf (as named above)

NO

The beauty of sifr is that the javascript code will read whats in your h1 tag and populate it with what it read, no need to do the above

BTW: i haven't used sifr either

domedia
03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I've used it, worked like a charm. The technique is popular in the blogging sphere. I actually met Shaunman in Austin at SXSW.

It's pretty simple really, I would just dive into it and play with it.

chriskq
03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
wow, some great info there guys. THanks.
Gonna start giving it a go when i have some downtime.
Cheers