PDA

View Full Version : tables and div

edbr
03-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Something that was asked some time ago That sites with tables are not as poular with search engines and therefore suffer with ranking. i also read this somewhere. Is this correct does anyone know?

Creative Insanity
03-23-2006, 02:43 AM
It is frames that make lower access in SEs not tables.

edbr
03-23-2006, 05:14 AM
Frames i knew, but the pieceI read claimed the same for tables.

Creative Insanity
03-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Not that I am aware of. All my sites are with tables and they are not that low in the SEs.
On the same note I have seen div/css sites lower than some of my table sites. So really I dunno. DJ, any truth to this table myth?

ranjan
03-23-2006, 01:07 PM
There is an argument by the "CSS Gurus" that because "code to content" ratio is better in a CSS based layout, hence spiders get to see more content and hence CSS based sites do better.

eg. for tables

<table><tr><td>blah</td></tr></table>

only "blah" is significant and there is too much code to go through before the spider can read "blah"

eg. for css

<div>blah</div>

lesser code to go through to reach "blah"

But some one did an experiment to see how much of these claims are actually true

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2006/01/the-roundabout-seo-test

domedia
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I think the common understanding currently is that there's no *penalty* for using tables for design in your website. (Got this confirmed by a Yahoo rep 2 weeks ago as well) It would be ridiculous as so many websites still are made that way. There are however clear *advantages* by using a semantical approach to your html tags. address, p, blockquote, h1, h2, ul, etc actually let's the search engine know more about *what* kind of data is presented, which helps them determine what is what on your page.
So the answer to your question wouls be 'maybe' :) If it's using tables with poor markup, it would possibly to better by making the code more semantic, and accessible.