PDA

View Full Version : Help question

dragoninc
03-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Ok, i'm fairly new to dreamweaver, i used it barly in a class, well now i need to make a simple site for the game i play, we got a website for map downloads, and we're puttin a site on it, but when in dreamweaver i click get files, it takes the maps out of the folder which takes forever, idealy i want the whole site in a folder in the website ftp, i know when i do this it doesn't read the index, how would i go about beign abel to put the whole site, index and all into a folder? is there a script i need to put in? or what?

also, any good macromedia help site? or cool things i can put in the site?
thanks

edbr
03-20-2006, 07:00 AM
sorry not clear what you are asking. You want to upload your site?

Creative Insanity
03-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Use an ftp client to download the site. DW was not designed as a ftp client so really you should not use it as such.

chriskq
03-20-2006, 09:42 AM
just make a folder on your desktop with a structure this structure: (inside ur folder name have one folder called common. Within commn - have folders for images, styles, scripts, flash (etc) that way when u ftp to your live www.site all your references should be sweet..

Which now brings me to the next point:
in your code, make sure your src for say an img would be img src-"common/images/filename.gif" etc.

then you be all setup.
have a look at this site. i made it for my brother (school project, i used a bunch of scripts that u may like.. )
ps- the site structure is donw, but not content - so no critics pls (lol)
get back to us any queries
http://www.massarcade.com/chris_testing/2bedeleted/index.html

pps - filezilla is good, or ws ftp pro, or FF has a extension for ftp

dragoninc
03-20-2006, 10:40 PM
chris.
for this my site is www.playgroundinc.net,
it's an ftp and what not and currently it looks like this, when you log into the ftp there are the dreamweaver pages (index, contact, etc) and an etmain folder, and the folder named images (dreamweaver files), currently updating the site is kinda hard, i have it set up so dream knows it's an ftp and i can get files and put files, when i was defining the ftp information, i left the folder field blank, but now when i get files, i get all the et main maps, and they are rather large, so i basicly want 2 folders the etmain, and Playground inc (which would contain index, other pages, and the file named images) but how do i get the ftp to reconise the index inside the file named playground inc, is that possible? or is there an easyer way to manage the ftp? like through site map and getting specific files?

long post, thanks for any feedback and help.. that site is far from done, i've barly started... i'm new to dreamweaver so if you feel like showing off your knowledge (frequently) add me on aim or msn,
msn:top_shot_1@hotmail.com
aim:zerkandr
email: cvmonkey@hotmail.com

dthomsen8
03-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Make sure that every page on your site has a DOCTYPE, and then check them out with www.w3.org for validity. Then come back to us with the result.

d a v e
03-21-2006, 01:56 PM
i think you need to use synchronise to compare what's new and what's not. have a look in the DW help files (F1)