PDA

View Full Version : Red background color NO!

keano
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, I am working on a site and my boss wnats the background to be all red. It looks awful and straining on the eye. Is there any info research wher eI can show her red backgrounds are not good, and BAD!!!

Creative Insanity
03-16-2006, 05:50 PM
If that is what the boss wants then I guess you better give it.

Seriously though red is ok and does not have to be the FF000 type of red. But cover your butt and do what she wants and then any future flack is on her back and not yours.

gregfindley.com
03-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Maybe use a dark red as CI implied/suggested then place your content in tables over the top, like this site ive been doing... www.theroyalspice.co.uk

Greg

theagro
03-25-2006, 04:32 PM
I ran into this same problem with a client of mine one time. The client is a counceling center for domestic violence. Well anyway, they wanted a "RED" background and I simply told them that I needed their job because even I know that red is a color of anger and they told me that it could also be a color of "job security... LOL"! Well, to say the least, we went with a more netural color for thier layout. For the most part, I don't like the color red, but it does have some usefullness to it.

Creative Insanity
03-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Dispite the fact theagro that you do or do not like a colour doesn't come into it.
You can suggest options, but you cannot tell them what they can and can not have (which sounds like you are doing). After all the site is theirs, and it is their money paying for it so they have the right to make the final choices of what they want on that page and how they want it to look.

theagro
03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
True what you are saying CI, but what I failed to mention was that I did build the site and did in fact use a red background color at first, and that is where they decided to go with a more neutral and softer color scheme.
When they were looking into having their site built, they didn't have a clue to color schemes and they hired me to advise them on it as well as build the site.

And (in my opinnion) red is a nice color if used correctly but one of those colors if used incorrectly can have a devistating effect.

And I didn't mean to make it sound like I told them what they wanted. I mearly made suggestions and observations to them based on what they asked of me. And you're right, it is their money and their site and they did have the final say so on it.

Creative Insanity
03-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Well cool.
What I normally do is make to the letter what someone wants (although I know it is going to look horrid), and then I show them a preview of the template and when 99.9% of them see the template THEY asked for they go 'owww..I don't like that', it is then I step in and make suggestions on what to change to what and where things should go. Once they start not knowing what they really want I change the template to my suggestions and show them another preview and most say 'Yeah, that's what I was thinking'. Although it was nothing like they first told me and I know they were not thinking I just let them think it was all their idea and then everyone is happy.
I don't start a word of code until the template is agreed on.

theagro
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I am the same way. I never start working on coding a corperate site until they are happy with the template. When I work with musicians on the other hand, I'll start working on some of the general pages like the links and guestbook but that's about it.