PDA

View Full Version : import web template

daveball
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi all new member and new to dreamweaver,
I have dreamweaver 2004mx studio and want to get started designng my website, I was going to buy a template to save some time in design, just a few questions, how do I save the template and how do I put it into my website, and guys, please, you are dealing with a total novice here so I would really appreciate when you were answering this to pretend your talking to someone tat knows little about webdesign, I am hoping someone somewhere can help me, many thanks and love your forum :lol:

edbr
03-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi. You will need to create a site with DW and save your pages in it. Dreamweaver has some good tutorials in its help and you can check http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/ on this site for help. Try these first .

daveball
03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats a great courses u have there,very informative.
What I need to know is how after getting a template I import it to my dreamweaver site, what do i save the template as and how do incoroartae it into dreanweaver , hope u ca help, many thanks

ramandeep
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi,
Say you got your template files in a folder called "mydesign"
What you have to do is create a dreamweaver site first

Go to Site - Manage sites- new- site

New window will open asking you about the site details

Site name- whatever you like (dont keep my first webpage)

local root folder- browse and take it to your "mydesign" folder

Default images folder- mostly all templates have a images folder which stores all the images of your site ( if there is , you can browse and show it the images folder)

Press ok and your site is setup.

There are many more options you can go through the VTMs in forums index they will give you better idea.

domedia
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
daveball, I would also suggest you look into the help files that DW has built inside for some quick and easy information on templates.

daveball
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
thats great I have noew got my template and edited it in dreamweaver, I wanna use this template for all pages so I have saved it as a template and then when I create a new page and click to use this template if gives me an error message saying that is a share violation error 32 , any ideas around this , thought I was on a roll here, many thanks

daveball
03-15-2006, 05:01 PM
sorted now for some reason, Dont know what I did, anyway when I now go to use the template it will not let me edit any of it as it says"making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or translator the change will be discarded, any ideas there , am I saving it in the wrong place, many thanks

domedia
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
yes the basic s of templates are that some areas are defined as to be edited in the template files, and other areas are editable in the html pages. Look in the help section in Dreamweaver. You have to know how this works *before* you create your pages from your template.

Creative Insanity
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
In your template make sure that you have added an edible region for where you want to be able to edit in the html files.