PDA

View Full Version : New to Dreamweaver a question about picture gallery.

fgp123
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
HI all im useing the 30 day trial of dreamweaver, certainly looks alot more promising than Frontpage.

Anyway when you select new document and go down to page designes, there are these image gallery designes called Image: picture and design.

It puts up a template with forward and back buttons as well as a place to put a pciture and description.

But im wondering how you use it? how do i set up a selection of pictures that will work within the gallery?do ineed to set up some kind of database?

how about the forward and back keys, do they need code behind them or are they pre coded?

Im new ot the interface and i cant see a place where you select the image to place inside the gallery, like you do in Frontpage.

Any help would be great or a point towards a tutorial on this matter.

Many thanks.

Creative Insanity
03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
shock horror.. compareing frontpuke to dw is like an austin with a jag.. they just don't fit into the same class.. LOL

I have never used the template you speak of.. so pull out a cap of it so I can looksie and have a play to help you out.

fgp123
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
This is where i select the template

http://usera.imagecave.com/fgp123/screencap.jpg

Creative Insanity
03-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Ok.. what that gives is just the backbones of the page and you will have to add the code for the previous and next as well as the 1 2 3 etc links.

Personally I would not use that template and just create my own using php/mysql and just have the images in the database under their own ID numbers and then use the next and previous to step forwards and backwards through the database where the images are and target them for where I want them to display.

Maybe it is time for me to do a VTM on a gallery using php/mysql which is easy and nice looking.

fgp123
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Im looking to make a gally page, i would be greatfull for a tutorial, either one form yourself or if you can point me to a Newbie skill level tutorial on the web.

Many thanks.

Creative Insanity
03-15-2006, 08:45 PM
RJ done a gallery tut.. take a look at this one.
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-picture-gallery.php