PDA

View Full Version : flash detection script

meerah
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Do you know about some script that will work for most users and check for flash plugin and forwards visitor to flash content page or the alernative page ?

gmcrone
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
You don't want to do that really.

What if your visitor doesn't want the plug in.

Just use the standard insert flash in DW and it has a built-in script with a link to the plug-in page.

Mike...

meerah
03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I really dont want to force users to download anything....I have simply two versions of a site..one with flash menu and flash streaming and one just composed of jpegs and rollovers made in dreamweaver..
I am sure it is simple ..just need to put blank site at the beginning with a script which redirects user to flash version or normal version... ??

davidj
03-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Im not sure if this is what your after. It may help.

Cant you just hack the code base address in the object tag? This is where you are redirected if you dont have flash (or the required version) installed

additional...

i joined a company that was ending a project for a large intranet finance app. The company used flash in a number of advertisements on the application and also used flash buttons as a menu system but the company which it was designed for were on a locked-down intranet and by hitting these flash based pages were getting redirected to macromedia to install the plug-in except their rights disallowed them to go to maccy media externally

solution i came up with was that flash was accepted as a media which we could use but the company for obvious reasons would never allow their users internet access to download the plugin so we did this....

download the CAB file which installs the player and drop that into your site somewhere

get the cab file here...
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

change the codebase path.cab and point it to where you have your new cab file. Example >> [path/path/swflash.cab]

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="path/path/swflash.cab" width="100" height="100">
<param name="movie" value="flashswap.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="flashswap.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="100"></embed>
</object>

you will still have to click yes when running the cab file though but this is a work-around rather than re directing to maccy media site

gmcrone
03-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Go to the Macromedia Exchange for Flash and download the Flash Detection Kit.

It is an extension that will install in DW and do everything you want.

Mike...

meerah
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah I was playing with that before but..
What if I dont want to supply users with strictly flash content or alternative content...I want to place just single one jpeg in header instead of flash banner when the flash is not detected... I am willing to use that auto generated script in Flash when the check for flash version publish option is checked..
To make it clear I understand how that script works...I dont understand to incorporate that swf to my layout ..the script embeds the actual swf, ..but when I am willing to get that content in some cell it just does not work....
Just to imagine what I want ... www.meerahmax.cz...top header with bubbles....
Cheers so far