PDA

View Full Version : drop down menus

wyowalker
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Is anyone well versed enough to help me with this problem?

at this site http://www.wyocentral.org/ the services available button and the fun & facts button have drop down menus that display correctly when previewed in IE from my C drive files but when I post the pages AND the mm_menu.js file to the hosting server the dropdowns stop working.

It is driving me absolutely crazy! I really need help. I attached the mm_menu.js file

wyowalker
03-11-2006, 07:13 PM
BTW - I would be willing to PAY for help if that helps peak any interest.

Creative Insanity
03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Put your money away. :)
So you say that it worked localy and once to uploaded to your hoster it stopped working.. Hmm.. let me peep at this.....

You have no doc type tisk tosk.
Add this above the html open tag.
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Not keen on this.. looks bad
<script type="text/javascript"
>function mmLoadMenus() {
I would prefer it to be line this:

<script type="text/javascript">
function mmLoadMenus() {
Other than that I can see nothing that could be stopping them working.
Maybe someone else will see something I missed.

wyowalker
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the reply - I made those changes to the index.htm page and tested but it still didn't work. :? Hmm.....

ramandeep
03-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Download IE7 beta
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

When you will open the page you will see all the errors line wise which make the 2 drop downs non funtional.

Creative Insanity
03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
But becarefull as once you have done this there is no going back if roll over is turned off.

wyowalker
03-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks - I appreciate the help. I tried IE 7 beta and did get errors. Admittedly, they don't mean a whole lot to me. I have attached them in a word doc - do they mean anything to you?

Creative Insanity
03-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Well the first one says line 2
<html><head>
Change that to 2 lines like:
<html>
<head>

Line 18 is:
mm_menu_0129135217_0.addMenuItem("Loans & Calculators","location='loans.htm'");
Can't see the problem with that.

Line 276 is:
<map name="Map6">
Now IE has lost the plot here.

Line 278 is:
A</map>
This is getting stupid.

and line 100 is:
<tr>
Daa IE!

ramandeep
03-12-2006, 08:06 AM
CI has given descriptions for all.
you can see the line numbers in error messages ,you can go in your dreamweaver code veiw and check them , just are small errors.

Creative Insanity
03-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Honestly ram I cannot see what the errors are. IE has a serious sickness me thinks LOL.
I just tried this on the battle axes system who was a silly woman and placed IE7 and no errors there. No dropdowns either.. but the page loaded fine with no errors.

About IE7.. what is all that bugging for when you don't use ms's stupid security? Yuk browser.

wyowalker
03-13-2006, 01:40 AM
I tried the changes to the code, however it didn't help. Grrrr. I really appreciate the suggestions you both have offered.

This may be a silly question but do you think that there is a chance that the web hosting server doesn't support java or that a 'java' extension needs to be enabled? You don't suppose that I would have to ASK for java support do you?

Creative Insanity
03-13-2006, 06:46 AM
I was going down the hoster road next.. but not for your reason.
But if it works locally fine but not when it hits the hoster I would be seriously looking at them.
If you want to do a test then pm me a link of the zipped up files of the site and I will try it locally here and if fine then upload to my hoster and see what happens there.

If you do not want to do this test then that is cool ;)

wyowalker
03-13-2006, 07:16 AM
I just PM'd you. I will be checking with the hosting provider when they open (about 8hrs from now) as well. Thanks for helping me test!

Creative Insanity
03-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Ok seems to work fine locally.. now let's upload to my hoster and see what happens.
It is your hoster!
As you can see it works fine here (http://development.webthings.org/files/).

davidj
03-13-2006, 12:53 PM
no it dont

object expected error

gmcrone
03-13-2006, 01:11 PM
working fine here Firefox 1.7 & IE6 errors, but loads and works fine

Mike...

Creative Insanity
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes it damn well do DJ.. LOL

wyowalker
03-13-2006, 09:32 PM
That was it - I still have errors on my page to trblshoot.... but that's another post.
Thanks for the help troubleshooting.

I never would have thought that a web hosting server wouldn't automatically support java. Hmm.

Creative Insanity
03-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Ok now you know that this problem is not your files I will delete the copy on my server.