PDA

View Full Version : Editing a PDF page for Dreamweaver 8.0

jackdee
03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I am construting a family web site and I have a link going to a family tree diagram in PDF format.
This diagram opens in a seperate window.
I have a behavior script for a Close Window button which I want to insert at the bottom of the tree PDF page.
I would like to know if its possible to edit a PDF page?
I have looked at its Document Properties and in the Security box its marked "No Security' and underneath
it states Changing the Document Allowed.
Thanks for any help.
Jack

davidj
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Jack (not the british comedian we all know and love???)
regarding your question
you cant incorporate an onclick close window function within a pdf

the pdf may look like its opening in a browser window but its using an acrobat plugin setting to open like that. I am not saying when creating a pdf you cant add a close button but acrobat comes with its own close button so you will be replicating functionality. Aslo not everyone will view the pdf like that. Some will open inside the browser some will open acrobat reader as this is a client setting (i open the reader every time)

best thing would be to strip your pdf down and incorp your tree into your site (in a page) PDF's come with additional information other than the contents of the document which can add to the file size.

i dont like pdf's personaly and although i use them allot in my field of work i would prefer to incorp them in the site

jackdee
03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi David
No the jackdee is Jack Daniels and not the whisky.

Thanks for the info, I think I will take your advice and bring the tree into a page.

I am just down the river from you a little place called North Shields.

Jack

davidj
03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
my grandfather used to run the old hundred pub many moons ago in shields