PDA

View Full Version : Hosting options

Creative Insanity
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I am after a new hoster that offers unlimited database and around 2gb space with php/mysql options.
Don't care about fantastico or any other such stuff.
All I really need is:
PHP
mysql
unlimited databases
folder protection
cpanel
phpmyadmin
around 2gb space
email and ftp accounts

for no more than $US6 per month (I pay currently $US4.95).

My current hoster surpasshosting in a word suck and are always out and I think the place is run by a bunch of script kiddies.
My hosting is due for renewal in August this year and really do not want to stay with these hopeless people.

Any suggestions?

desertdirk
03-09-2006, 02:03 AM
I am assuming your ISP won't let you do your own hosting?
dd

Creative Insanity
03-09-2006, 02:42 AM
NZ hosting costs an arm and a leg.. and I mean arm and leg.. like $200 pa for something as useless as 40MB

domedia
03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
You get what you pay for. Unless you increase your budget, my guess is that the service you're getting won't change.

johnph77
03-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I've heard good things said about IPower. I personally don't have a site there but sometime later this year I'll need to make a move, and this is where I'll probably go. I've only heard one negative comment about them, but that's a tiny minority. A lot of bang for the buck, as far as space goes.

Creative Insanity
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
ta john.. will check them out.
I did up the budget dom, my previous budget was $US5 per month and I have increased that by $US1 per month.
I find that hosters that cost more tend to offer less.. like limited databases and ftp/email accounts.

domedia
03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
By far the best host I've ever had is Insiderhosting.
I've moved my larger websites away from them as time has gone by, but I've never received the kind of service they gave anywhere else.

Another one I can recommend is Site5, if you increase your budget just *alittle* you'll be happy there.

My experience has been opposite than yours. In my experience you usually get what you pay for in the hosting industry, go figure ;)

Creative Insanity
03-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Insiders plans are WAY too small and VERY EXPENSIVE.. (less for more.. pffftt hehe).
Now we are talking dom.. site5 looks good.. now let me examain the options.

I am confused?? At the top of the discription it says $5.47 but at the bottom for year payments it is MORE?? 'Every Year (annually) $6.47/month + FREE Setup!'
I am sure it is an error.
http://www.site5.com/hosting/comparison.php
and the MOST IMPORTANT ONE is there.. 'Unlimited MySQL Databases'. Looks like I may of found a new home.

Now domain names.. dropping webthings and start out all new.. any suggestions.. you all know me so something that suits my loverly nature LOL.

gmcrone
03-10-2006, 04:52 AM
New domain name....

How about www.kiwistalker.com

Mike...

Creative Insanity
03-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Great stuff gm.. proimted me to find one I like and is avalible.
kiwiarna.com, so will do that tomorrow than and away I go.

domedia
03-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Insiders plans are WAY too small and VERY EXPENSIVE.. (less for more.. pffftt hehe).
Cost, service, quality <- Choose one or two, you will never get all three ;)

Insider hosting scores 10 on service and quality in my book :) It's all about your priorities.

Creative Insanity
03-11-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah but I have a person of the female gender here that is keeping me to a budget.
I am still looking as went to host with site5 yesterday and they want 2 years in advance.. Pfftt.. stuff that,, that ain't hosting, that is a marrage.. LOL