PDA

View Full Version : Drop down menus....and databases

lamanchica
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi all

Could someone please help me.

This is my problem.

I want to make a website that contains details of properties available for rent.

I want the person using the site to be able to search for available properties using different criteria.

For example to be able to search for all properties available in a certain location. Eg. to choose Beachfront or Town or Village.

OR (NOT as well as)

to be able to search for rental properties in a price band. Eg. 100 Euros to 300 Euros; 400 euros to 600 euros , etc.

Now I -think- I can do this by the use of dropdown menus and giving the item label eg Town, a value of a webpage address. So that if a make a page called Town when the word Town is selected on the drop down menu then the user is taken to the town.html page.

If this method is correct then thats OK for the short term but as more properties are added would it not be better to retrieve the information from some sort of database. If so could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to do this

Many thanks

davidj
03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
if you have 5 towns and thats all the criteria you have to search on then a dropdown redirecting to 5 seperate pages of information on each town is fine. You really should get into PHP to allow growth of the site because maintaining a static site of say 20 pages is very time consuming

I would go down the php or asp path (preferably PHP as its wallet friendly)

Creative Insanity
03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
(preferably PHP as its wallet friendly)

LOL.. oh so true.
Yeah a dynamic site would be the ticket here. Then down the road work would be way less on your side.