PDA

View Full Version : what does this term mean?

keano
03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
In general, developers should aim to "separate content from presentation" as much as possible on all web pages. Proper separation is recommended in order to:

>??
Thanks

desertdirk
03-04-2006, 12:50 AM
This refers to the use of CSS or cascading style sheets. The content is the information presented on the web page: the word, the images and so forth. The presentation is how it looks. What fonts are used, what color the text is, where the images are place. This is done in css.

The discussion basically states that the content and the presentation should be seperate from each other for several reasons a couple being: readability, you can read the code of you context seperately from the code for the presentation, and flexability, If your presentation is seperate from your content it is easier to change either one. For instance, if you have a website that you decide to change all the H1 headers from black to green, if you are using CSS you make that change in one place. If you are not using css, inother words if you have not seperated the content from presentation, you will have to change the H1 header on every page where it is used.

hope that answers your question
DD

keano
03-04-2006, 12:54 AM
ah thanks!

domedia
03-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Excellent points from Dirk (you must be a handcoder?)

If you manage to seperate content/structure from design/layout, you can make your information more 'portable'. Meaning you can add seperate stylesheets, one for the browser, one for print etc. Since you know have all content seperated, other people can simply just add another stylesheet to your content, and create brand new looks.

The best example on this is the CSS ZenGarden. It's truly amazing. All the websites use the same HTML file, view source on all of them and it's the same, apart from different stylesheets attached.
As you can see, the difference and versatility speaks for itself. :)
http://www.csszengarden.com/

The way HTML is heading is clear, with the xhtml protocol (which you don't have to worry about just yet), HTML is heading towards becoming a part of XML, which is a strict way of *structuring* information. In this model there is no room for font tags, html atbles for deisgn etc.

desertdirk
03-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Actually Dom
Much of that I learned from your posts here in this forum (and some reading on my own)
dd

ranjan
03-04-2006, 05:59 AM
(you must be a handcoder?)

I can pretty much guarantee that NOBODY here is a hand coder. Everybody uses an Editor. The Editor can be as simple as Notepad or as complex as Dreamweaver.

And if you use an editor, you have not used you hands to write out code on paper, hence you are no hand coder

domedia
03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
(you must be a handcoder?)
And if you use an editor, you have not used you hands to write out code on paper, hence you are no hand coderI'm pretty sure the general consensus is that a handcoder is someone that writes their own code in an editor instead of using an editor that generates all of (or part of) your code.

desertdirk
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I guess if I were a hand coder I wouldn't be here. I am sure most people do a combination of using and editor and hand coding as well. I agree with Dom that handcoding really refers to writing the code yourself rather than having an editor do it for you.
dd

keano
03-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I have been making websites for a while but do not know HTML.... does this mean I should learn?

domedia
03-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes :)
imho