PDA

View Full Version : How do I section my website?

newbie_1234
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Good afternoon everyone. im slowly getting to grips with dreamweaver but 1 thing im having a lot of difficulty with is, sectioning my website. can someone please point me in the direction or explain how i do this. i have the layout of how i want my site but do not know how to have each block or table inserted into the site to do this. any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers

ramandeep
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi ,
The common approach is to make a layout in a graphic program and then slice it out to HTML. Then you can use it with Dreamweaver.

In my suggestion make a layout in photoshop or fireworks (whatever you have) and then slice it to HTML.
You will find many tuts on net for slicing and saving as HTML , just google it.

Creative Insanity
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Not clear on what you are asking.

newbie_1234
03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
thanx for advice ramandeep, i will keep that in mind. creative insanity, i have flash buttons on the left hand side, and when i enter text the buttons move so i was told to make tables or partitions before i enter the text etc. i think they r dotted lines. then im told once ive done that i can piece my web page together and was hoping someone could tell me the easiest way how.
thanx

Creative Insanity
03-02-2006, 06:15 PM
watch the vtm on Dreamweaver Templates on the front of the site.

newbie_1234
03-02-2006, 06:21 PM
ok then will do. cheers for ur help guys and fingers crossed!

InterAKT
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
The regular approach is to build a clear structure where text and image elements are separated. Say for example you have an image on the top side of the page, navigation on the left and content in the right part of the screen.

After you draw this in Photoshop or whatever other tool you are using, you cut it into 3 main slices. The big image on top, the navigation and the main content area.

To insert it into Dreamweaver you need to have a table that has 2 columns and 2 rows. On the first row you merge the 2 columns and create one long row to insert your big header picture.

On the second row in the left column you insert the navigation (Flash buttons or whatever you choose from the slices you created) and on the right you can fill in the text.

If you use a tool to create the HTML for you please be careful, as for example Photoshop does not create very clean HTML. In its case it uses 1 px images to space your elements, which is not a very good choice (I for one prefer the table padding for this, if not the CSS alignments).

This is only a brief description of how you could achieve your goals. As the guys said before, there are plenty of tutorials on how to create an HTML table layout for your pages. Hope I got you on the right track at least.