PDA

View Full Version : website finished, or so i thought

TheBaldOne
03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi all

Thought id finished my site but got a small issue.

The main text on the site i want in the font 'Abadi MT Condensed Light' which is fine if the computer has it on there. If not then it comes up with times new roman.

Is there a way to embed the font into the site?

this is my site: www.signalredmusic.com

davidj
03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
you need an application (WEFT) that converts fonts into the format needed to embed

i have never used such a thing so you need to test it across the browser range

get it here...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/a/1/8a1be03f-f7fc-4504-af9a-7b9230775284/WEFTIII2b1.exe

domedia
03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I've used weft before and it ads significantly to the download time of your website.
And it's IE only.
That aside, you shouldn't create a website to fit only one font face, it's design flaw :)
Choose a list of font's as in body {font-family: 'Abadi MT Condensed Light', times, serif}

dthomsen8
03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi all

Thought id finished my site but got a small issue.

The main text on the site i want in the font 'Abadi MT Condensed Light' which is fine if the computer has it on there. If not then it comes up with times new roman.

Is there a way to embed the font into the site?

Yes, you can imbed the font, others here have told you how, but why not specify some other fonts after Abadi MT Condensed Light? There are many popular condensed fonts to pick from that users would have.

Change your font statement to specify other fonts yourself, avoiding Times New Roman or whatever MAC default you otherwise would get.

dthomsen8
03-05-2006, 12:44 PM

What happens if a user doesn't have FLASH installed with the browser? Some users are against having the FLASH plug-in installed. Your site does not seem to allow a user to proceed without the plug-in. Not a good idea.

Creative Insanity
03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Well these days dthomsen8 flash is as common in a web site as text.. so if a person does not want to install the flash plug then they are missing on a lot all over the web.

d a v e
03-05-2006, 06:34 PM
i think that dthomsen8's point is not that the site uses flash, just that it has no way of continuing without installing it.