PDA

View Full Version : W3c Compliance

davidj
03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
who follows W3c Compliance

been asked to re-jig an application which one of our famous high street banks are going to offer to customers

they need it to carry their livery and for it to be W3c compliant

whats you views

Creative Insanity
03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I am not really religious about w3c, but in saying that a compliancy standard has to be followed somewhere so why not start there.. better than MS's that is for sure. LOL

domedia
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I actually try really hard sometimes to follow W3C.
Partly because I can say to myself I have a valid page, and partly because I eliminate the risk of something being wrong.
Just today I had to find out why a form was failing for some people on IE6 and for some other people not on IE6.
an input field had <input value "something" withouth the equal character. Worked on the developers IE6, but not for someone else. If he had validated the form according to w3c as well as doing browser checks, this would have never happened.

There's also another good reason to follow w3c.
w3c has standards for how things are supposed to be structured. What we don't have, is standards to how things are going to work if they are *not* standard. So even though the propietary CSS code for making scrollbars for the browser in IE is cool, there's no standard as too how browsers that don't support those IE-made-up-CSS are going to deal with it.
Or propietary HTML attributes. Most good browsers will ignore attributes that they don't know what are, but since there's no standard for non-standard code, you might end up doing something weird on other browsers.

I mostly just use an extension for FF
http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/

If you need any help validating part of your code, let me know!

ranjan
03-02-2006, 03:05 AM
i code as per W3C standards. This is not because I can "say" that my site is valid or because Everybody and their mothers are doing it. But My reasons are

1. Its easy to troubleshoot. Its easy to troubleshoot because every browser works in standard mode rather than quirks mode.
2. Easier to maintian

ramandeep
03-02-2006, 10:09 AM
In my views i really respect and follow W3C usability and accessibility standards.
With so many browsers and different browsers preferred by different people. Its really hard for a designer to truly define what browser visitor will be accessing your site in, and not following standards is like penalizing the visitor for his choice of browser. To make it a lovely experiance for a visitor we will need to adhere to web standards.

davidj
03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
at the end of the day compliance to the standards really mean that you are building a well formed (if i can steal that from xml) document and not relying on browser error handling

i can see the benefits and i have been very lazy for a number of years.. will i adopt a new development stategy after this project...? who knows... probably not.

ok.. lets roll up the sleeves and get cracking

cheers guys