PDA

View Full Version : monitoring problems

fest-i
02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Hello to all out there. I built a pretty basic web site using a really small 14" monitor. Whilst constructing it, I used the 'view in browser' and everything appeared fine. I tried to look at it on a different mac with a 17" monitor and all was not well. The only page that I looked at was tilled and just looked wrong. I saved all the images at approx. 1024x630 pixels. What came be done to save my web site?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

ramandeep
02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Mate,
Post the code or the link to the page, so that we can figure it out.

domedia
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Your problem lies in different browser resoltions, *not* monitor size, that's irrelevant.

When someone has a monitor resolution of 800*600, anything wider than around 760px os going to create a horizontal scrollbar on your site.

It's not smart to design your website to only one viewport size, because people can resize their browser sizes to their own preferences.

And yes, asking 'whats wrong' without giving us anything to look at is not helping much ;)

fest-i
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for your response. Even though I've bought my domain space, I havent actually posted it yet. It (the web-site) is saved on to a disc and is quite big- there are many images. Let me know how I can get copies over to you and it will be done. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

domedia
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
If you design your site to be 1024px wide, it will always create a scrollbar in a smaller resolution.
If this does not help you have to be more specific than just saying "and all was not well. The only page that I looked at was tilled and just looked wrong."

Creative Insanity
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Change your fix sizes to percentages or use a control table set to 100% or the percentage you want your page to be.

fest-i
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
It can be found temporarily at: www.soulfulvibes.co.uk/festus
The sound clips for the mix Cds will be uploaded this weekend. Does anyone know why the detailing on the site is down somewhat? When the site was completed and viewed in browser (I used Fire Fox, Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Opera) the pictures were far more defined without the apparent blotchiness. Or is this down to the small monitor?? (It must seem like I'm just looking to blame my monitor for everything)

As I make a lot of images for reproduction I was wondering what the situation was with TFT (flat screens?) versus CRT. I hear that TFTs don't reproduce repeatable images over fairly short periods of time and that CRTs are of a higher fidelity.
A friend of mine bought two flat screens and then bought another one about a month and a half later. The difference that the new screen had for the same image as the older monitors was staggering.

fest-i
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Sorry. I meant to say my friend says the problem lies with the Mozilla browser and the dimensions of my index page

Creative Insanity
03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
OUCH! I gotta say that your choices of bgs are VERY distracting.
The width see fine here.

fest-i
03-04-2006, 06:40 PM
what is a bgs?

ramandeep
03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
CI meant to say "Backgrounds" by "bgs"

Creative Insanity
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I am lazy at typing fest, and if I can shorten a word then more than likely I will..hehe

johnph77
03-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I believe I see what he is trying to say. He's trying to use a photo as a background and have it appear full-size as a background in any resolution.

Viewing it here on 1600x1200 still produces tiling.

Unfortunately, even if you are successful in getting this to work, there will be some skewing of the photo due to different ratios inherent in the other width x height ratios in the resolution settings, and the newer wide-screen monitors will only make it worse. The 1024x630 resolution is about 5::3, but my 1600x1200 here is exactly 4::3, which will make the image narrower in appearance relative to the width.

fest-i
03-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your respnse.

domedia
03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Background images can't resize either so the whole idea is wrong..