PDA

View Full Version : Window Size Question

crazychimpjimbo
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi

I've looked through the first couple of pages on the DW section of the forum and I can't find anything to help me. Very possible I've missed it so I very SORRY :oops: if this is a repost.

I've got a website, when it opens I want the window size to open at 800x600 and not be able to adjust the size by dragging. So it will always be this size. Is this possible??? If not is it possible to have my website opening at that size to begin with?

Yes im very much a novice in the DW world so don't go super technical on me :shock: !!!

davidj
02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
here is your function (JS) which needs do go in <head> tags and inside <script tags

i have declared a var help1 as the name of the window so you can reference it if needed
var help1;

function tmt_winOpen(u,id,f,df){
if(eval(id)==null||eval(id+".closed")){
eval(id+"=window.open('"+u+"','"+id+"','"+f+"')");eval(id+".focus()");}
else if(df){eval(id+".focus()");}
else{eval(id+"=window.open('"+u+"','"+id+"','"+f+"')");eval(id+".focus()");}
}

here is the call. You can stick this into any img tag. As you can see you can define the height width and even where you want it to appear on the screen (top, left)

onClick="tmt_winOpen('help/help1.php','help1','width=300,height=400,left=0,to p=0,scrollbars=yes',1)"

crazychimpjimbo
02-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Cheers

Reading what you have suggesting above I can see that will open such things like images in a window at a set size which is actually gonna be really useful, cheers for that.

I may have been a bit cr@p with my wording. I want to make i.e. index.htm open in a 800x600 window from the beginning! So someone click or types www.yourdomain.net and the ie. window resizes into 800x600???

Is this possible?

davidj
02-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I can see that will open such things like images in a window at a set size

no..

you attach the onclick to an image tag (example .....
images/name.jpg

this turns the image into a button to open your popup window. It doesnt open images ???? (unless your images are in the popup you call)

I want to make i.e. index.htm open in a 800x600 window from the beginning

you can open parent which will be full screen at max (whatever that is?) you can then control the size of its child windows using the function i supplied.

you need to design your site to the optimum res at 800x600 (go on people ... flame me)
design it so it looks good at that res and also looks great at larger resolutions

crazychimpjimbo
02-24-2006, 02:24 PM
oooo I seee now........doh that was really obvious too :oops: !!! I shall ram head against wall for a bit!!! :wink:

Thanks.....Sorry for foolish moment.

As for the 800x600 thing! well its not actually being designed in that. But its not much bigger!!! and yup I've taken into consideration the menus, scroll bars etc so it should actually fit on a screen of 1024x768 fine, however at the moment anyone viewing with bigger resolutions will see lots of space hence why I wanted to auto size the window so they dont see lots of space!

domedia
02-24-2006, 03:46 PM
The right thing to do here would be to let the user themselves decide.
Just because people have large resolutions on their monitors doesn't mean they browse with their browsers maximized, actually I think we can safely say that the larger the resolution, the higher the chance of them *not* browsing maximized (it's just a guess, but makes sense to me).
just my 2 cents ;)