PDA

View Full Version : Hits, Hits, Hits

gregfindley.com
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

Just wondered how each of you boost your own hits? Other than the obvious Google and direct requests, for example specific directories and links pages, other search engines?

Im upto 6200 (My visitors have come from: Direct requests 1st, Google 2nd and visitors from Dreamweaver Club 3rd!)

Thanks
Greg

domedia
02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
by 'hits', I assume you mean 'visitors'.
'Hits' is a technical term meaning a request made to the server, which could be anything.. css files images javascript files etc.

The first thing I do is try to make semantically correct html (google it if you're uncertain).
Then I build backlinks. Meaning I try to get quality websites to link to my website.

dthomsen8
02-24-2006, 02:43 AM
You definitely want a robots.txt file, even if you don't want to restrict what search engines may index. Do a search on robots.txt and you will find plenty of information on what goes into one.

Beyond that, try to get some links established from local web sites. Some can be obtained for free or little cost. Search on where other web designers near you have links, and do likewise.

Even classified ads can provide links and traffic, if the newspaper also publishes ads online.

edbr
02-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Hi
re robot text. I advised a freind to add a robot text file to his site but was told by his web designer that this would be a bad thing as his site is a "flash driven site"
is this correct? I am not convinced, but what do I know?

ramandeep
02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Google has the capability to follow links inside Flash. That's better than nothing, and it doesn't help you much with Google's ranking algorithm. AllTheWeb and Lycos announced a new addition to their search technology, the ability to access text content contained in Flash files. It's not perfect, but they do manage to index at lot of text and make it searchable in their database.

In my opinion, consider using Flash to enhance your Web pages instead of creating Flash-only pages. Give search engines what they like - structural tags, text links, and good content - and use Flash to add interest and interactivity.

gregfindley.com
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
(Sorry Visitors)

domedia
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Why would anyone add a robots text file if you don't want to constraint the search bots in any ways?

davidj
02-24-2006, 04:17 PM
I advised a freind to add a robot text file to his site but was told by his web designer that this would be a bad thing as his site is a "flash driven site"

thats because most flash driven sites use only one page and you dont want to restrict spiders crawling your only page

as dom pointed out you dont need robot text if your not restricting indexes

domedia
02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Actually come think of it.. the *only* reason I might add it, and now I'm actually thinking of it, is to get rid of all those 'robots.txt not found' in my server logs every time a search bot comes through my sites (which is many times a day).

Would clean up my stats a little ;)