PDA

View Full Version : Browsers?

blanchard
02-22-2006, 03:01 PM
When I create a website which browser should I preview it in as they all seem to preview a different usually the alignment of text.

Regards Blanchard

davidj
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
all of them !

well the top 3-4 really

domedia
02-22-2006, 03:16 PM
The best answer to this question is: Create the website for you users (target audience). Find out which browsers they're using, and make sure the website works in those.

If you have access to the server logs of your website, this will give you valuable info on which user agents are used to access your website. Log analysis software like AWStats that runs on the server give you this info.

All websites are different and will have variations of what percentage of browsers are being used to access their websites. Intranets typically have just one or a few browsers to target, which makes things easy.

I work with many (hundreds) of websites mostly in the tourist/hospitality industry, so our visitors are typically from anywhere in the US. For us this list of browser consists of the 95% procent of our traffic, and we optimize for these browsers:
IE5.0 and up
FF 1.0 and up
Safari (be nice to mac users)
We gave up support for NN4 2 years ago
We gave up support for IE5(mac) 1 year ago

Sometimes, supporting browser is a economical questions as well.
Is it worth to spend another 10% on a project to research and develop a solution for a browser that only counts for 0.3% of your visitors?

blanchard
02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
I did find
IE5.0 and up (Preview OK)
FF 1.0 and up (Preview OK)
Safari (be nice to mac users) (Preview miss match - verticle alignment of text and background in a table cropped)

Thanks for the info.

domedia
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Did you also get access to info about your own visitors? ;) (the server logs)
I imagine that your UK stats might differenciate a little.