PDA

View Full Version : Layers and pop out problem

grandslam
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post and am excited to have this great resource available.

My first questionis - is it alright to make a website with all layers? Someone told me no because they don't always stay where you put them on other peoples monitors. One of the pages in question is:
http://www.thepositiveself.com/ebookpage.htm Please let me know if this page looks ok on your computers. The ones I viewed it on looked fine.

Question #2: On the same webpage: http://www.thepositiveself.com/ebookpage.htm If you rollover the "consulting" tab you will see 2 pop out options appear. As you can see they are transparent, you can see the words under the pop out. This is not supposed to happen. If you browse to other pages on the site, some work and some don't. They were all done at the same time with same procedure.

Can anyone give a reason why it not consistant throughout the website?
Help..

Thanks,

Bill

grandslam
02-22-2006, 03:14 AM
29 views and not one person has a response????

Please try to partisipate. Your ideas and opinions are valuable. I need your help.

Bill

Creative Insanity
02-22-2006, 07:52 AM
From where I am sitting the site looks horrid. But if you view the articles on the front of our site you will see many topics and tuts on div/css site design.

davidj
02-22-2006, 08:03 AM
im sorry bill but this is very amaturish

you need to see what the experts are doing

click the link and checkout inspiration

www.cwd.dk

grandslam
02-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for responses.

The CWD site was great, very helpful.

Can you tell me what you are seeing that makes it look "horrid". Are you guys using Macs? I've only viewed it on pc's and it looked fine. Do you not like the colors?, layout... They were picked by the client. Do you think the layers shifted and things don't look in the right place?

Please let me know. I will take all feedback as a learning experience.

Thanks again.

Bill

Our home site is www.grandslammedia.com - Check it out!

davidj
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
take your site and take a look at this
http://www.media-solutions.de/
then compare the two

i am not saying the example i am giving is the path to follow but i am saying one has been designed by a designer

asorb designs that you like and learn from them.

am i wrong when i say if it looks unproffesional then that reflects the product its trying to sell

Creative Insanity
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
When I say horrid I mean it looks designless.. no thought placed on what the page is going to look like for others.
I do agree with what dom says many times and the main fact is content.. but when you are trying to sell something first impressions count.. and if that selling medium is a website then if that website does not have the wow factor right off the bat then a viewer is not going to see what the content is cause they will just leave.
So first hit their eyes, then hit their pockets LOL.

Ricky55
02-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Totally agree the site does need major attention in the looks dept.

Its hard starting from a blank canvas but what i always do if its a website or just graphics for print is take a good look around find things you like and try to get some inspiration.

I would recommend making the site look much more clean, at the mo it looks like its been designed for the visually impaired.

Try to avoid massive times fonts with soild boring background colours.

Ricky55

PS
This isn't a mac / pc thing.

grandslam
02-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Thanks for all your input. It is all very helpful.

The client practically drew the layout, so we put it on the web for him. He didn't want it like a circus, but to be a serious site aimed to help people with life controlling addictions. I think the "subtlness" and "quietness" is fine for the topic of the site.

If a client came to you wanting a site for that purpose, how would you design it? Would you use flash animation, bright colors, etc... Think as a non-designer, in the viewers position, if you were looking for help, which site do you think would help you more? A flashy "design" or a subtle site with content right out of the bat that says "we can help". An addicted person probably doesn't need "wow", he needs help.

Not to be defensive but I don't see how "horid" it is . I understand it may not win website design awards but it says what the client wanted to say and says it from the homepage on.

I would love to hear how you would design it in the same situation. Again, I don't mean to be defensive , but I wan to learn how profesionals think.
Maybe knowing what I just told you, do you see the site in a different light?
Or is it still horid?

Thanks for your input.

Also I still need to know why the pop out buttons are see thru on some pages and not on others?

Bill

Ricky55
02-23-2006, 07:57 AM
No need to get defensive mate we're only trying to help you.

I think you achieved exactly what you didn't want to, to me it does look too bright and not serious at all. A circus as you put it.

I mean even something like this site would be much better, maybe different colours.

Just type drug additcion into google and see what other sites are doing.

http://www.healthsites.co.uk/index.php

This front page uses some nice colours look at doing something like this. Not the site its self but the colours are calming.