PDA

View Full Version : Pre load Layer

jdmallion
02-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Ya Guys,

Was wondering if you could help me on this one??

I want to create a Pre load layer so that I can load a large .gif in the background and when it is loaded and starts playing I want the pre load layer to dissapear, is this do able and quite easy to accomplish??

Please help! :D

davidj
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
when you say large gif do you mean file size or phisical size (width height)?

and when it is loaded and starts playing

this sounds like you want to set an animated gif as a background image?
you cant do that.

if you want animation on your site then look into flash. Flash is the standard tool at the moment for animation

jdmallion
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
basicaly all I want is to have a frame with "loading page please be patient" written in it and then when the image has loaded (which is large in size file size) that frame to dissapear and reveal the image!

Hope this makes it clearer

davidj
02-20-2006, 02:48 PM
yes but why is the file size large and how big is it

jdmallion
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
well I havent actually created the image yet but the reason it will be a large image size is because it is a animation created in Photoshop. I understand that flash would be a better program to use but this is an expensive peice of kit and I have no idea how to use it. :D

By the way mate thanks for the fast responses!! 8)

davidj
02-20-2006, 03:13 PM
please dont do this

this is so wrong and you will find people will not stick around waiting for stuff to load especialy an image

with an ani gif and a pre loader requirment tells me this is going to be one hell of a size (100's of K's if not MB's)

you need to learn flash

if you must do this then try to pre load the image when the user first hits your site (at the index.htm).

you do relise your going to reach any bandwidth limits your host has set very quickly. The best site in the world would be as much use as a chocolate iron if it is locked down through exceeding bandwidth limits

here it is if you need it (given kicking and screaming)
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

Image1= new Image(175,50)
Image1.src = "image1.gif"

Image2 = new Image(25,30)
Image2.src = "image2.gif"

Image3 = new Image(125,80)
Image3.src = "image3.gif"

// End Hiding -->
</SCRIPT>

jdmallion
02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok mate you win!! I will teach my self Macromedia Flash!!

:D

Just one last question what is the cheapest way to get hold of a legal version of Flash?

davidj
02-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Just one last question what is the cheapest way to get hold of a legal version of Flash?

buy it!

ebay may have old versions up for grabs but dont go any older than 2004 (not sure if it is legal when buying older versions from anyone other than maccymedia)

davidj
02-20-2006, 03:54 PM
also forgot

if your a student then i believe there is a discount

jdmallion
02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Brilliant thankyou so much for all the help! :D

domedia
02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/B000ALM5ZM/Macromedia_Flash_Pro_8_Win_Mac.html