PDA

View Full Version : scrollbars in table

musicman5150
02-18-2006, 05:21 AM
I am working on a site for a friend. What I've done is created a page in fireworks that has info around the edges and a window that I want to display certain info in. For instance on one page that window will display the FAQ about the business. Trouble is, in order to fit all the FAQ into the box it has to either scroll or continue to another page. I sliced up the entire image in fireworks and saved it out then opened it in dreamweaver. So that box where the FAQ text will go was saved in the slice html as an html box. Now I'm attempting to figure out how to put the text into there and give the box scroll bars. Any help on how to do this? Is this a bad idea? The only other way I can think to do it would be to put a table in there and have navigation arrows that basically just open up another page with the rest of the text in it. That seems sort of clunky though with all the abilities we can incorporate into web pages these days. I'm lost... help!!

domedia
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Now I'm attempting to figure out how to put the text into there and give the box scroll bars. It's ok, as long as you realize you do this on the users exepnse. In page scrollbars decreases usability. I wouldn't encourage it.

Any help on how to do this?
Use the CSS property overflow. It's explained on one of the articles from our homepage: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php

Is this a bad idea? The only other way I can think to do it would be to put a table in there and have navigation arrows that basically just open up another page with the rest of the text in it. That seems sort of clunky though with all the abilities we can incorporate into web pages these days. The obvious alternative would be to not scroll anything, and let the users browser create scrollbars if the content is too long for the window. This is how regular webpages are set up.

musicman5150
02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I just needed to be a little more thorough in my searching. I used an iframe command. Please look at the posted site and see if you think it's too messy the way I've done it. The url is www.ta2you.com I'd appreciate any feedback you could give.

domedia
02-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Looks good, altough the solution in the link above would be a better solution. There's no reason to make new pages and call it into the page with an iframe, if all you're looking for is the scrollbar.