PDA

View Full Version : Adding a subdomain using the site map - How to?

DMChick
02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Iím not quite sure what to do but Iím trying to develop a website with a subdomain (subdomain.mywebsite.com). Iíve added the subdomain on my server but now Iím trying to figure out what Iíll have to do locally to properly define my subdomain within Dreamweaverís site map. Is there a way this can be done?

Thanks,
Kimberly

davidj
02-17-2006, 09:38 AM
if you have a main domain www.mysite.com then create a directory in that on the live server (mysub)

root/mysub

create your local site and set the mysub directory as your root in local and remote which means when developing you wont be able to drill up beyond mysub.

your sub domain will point to mysub directory on the server.

DMChick
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
if you have a main domain www.mysite.com then create a directory in that on the live server (mysub)

root/mysub

create your local site and set the mysub directory as your root in local and remote which means when developing you wont be able to drill up beyond mysub.

your sub domain will point to mysub directory on the server.

Okay, youíll have to bear with me as Iím completely green when it comes to this. How do I set the mysub directory as my root in my local site?

Thanks for taking the time to teach a n00b.

davidj
02-17-2006, 11:26 AM
dont think of it as a sub think of it as a new site within a site

domedia
02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
It is a new site.

DMChick
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
It is a new site.Yes, Iím just developing it.

davidj
02-17-2006, 02:27 PM
It is a new site.

sorry DMchick

that wasnt a question from dom that was an answer!

hehe :roll:

domedia
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
It is a new site.Yes, Iím just developing it.
:) You have to set up a new site profile in DW.

DMChick
02-17-2006, 02:33 PM
It is a new site.

sorry DMchick

that wasnt a question from dom that was an answer!

hehe :roll: :oops: [Hides]

DMChick
02-17-2006, 03:28 PM
When I try to create a new site (mysub) I receive the warning message ďThe root folder you have chosen is inside the folder for site MyWebsite.com. This may cause some operations, such as synchronization, to work incorrectly. Proceed anyway?"

What should I do and what difficulties will this likely cause for me?

davidj
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
ignore it

or create a seperate site and upload it to your sub directory when you go live

i have done a few of these and have ignored the warning but i supose its not best practice

domedia
02-17-2006, 03:38 PM
When I try to create a new site (mysub) I receive the warning message ďThe root folder you have chosen is inside the folder for site MyWebsite.com. This may cause some operations, such as synchronization, to work incorrectly. Proceed anyway?"

Click 'no' and develop your subdomain in a seperate location. This is a seperate and new site, don't mess it up with your other website.

DMChick
02-17-2006, 05:48 PM

Click 'no' and develop your subdomain in a seperate location. This is a seperate and new site, don't mess it up with your other website.Thanks, that's what I'll do.

grayflo
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I have read this thread with interest, wondering how best to proceed with the building of my site. This is early planning stage and my first site with DW ( CS3). I have previously used FrontPage.

Have I got this right?...
1) The sub domains are built completely separately from the "main" domain.

2) I had somehow imagined that the next stage was, when completed, they are dropped into a sub directory of the main site, while it sits on my computer.

But I now have discovered this:

The directories for sub domains are set up via my control panel on the hosting server. Do I therefore keep these "sub sites" separate on my hard drive and upload them individually using the avaliable individual FTP settings for each sub directory on the server?
OR
Do I drop them into folders within the main site on my hardrive and upload the whole lot?
How does this work?

I'd value your help and experience. Thanks in advance.