PDA

View Full Version : E-Commerce/ SSL Sites

gregfindley.com
02-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi All,

Ive had an enquiry for an e-commerce website, just trying to get an idea... how difficult is it to make a basic e-commerce site? and what payment method would you recommend? Anyone with any experience of e-commerce?!!?

Complete e-commerce newbie here!!!! can anyone give me a basic outline of whats involved in terms of building the site using dw?

Thanks!
Greg Findley

Creative Insanity
02-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Here ya go (http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_cart.html).. have fun ;)

domedia
02-14-2006, 07:58 PM
there's nothing basic about making an e-commerce website.
Make sure:
-You're comfortable with server side scripting (the shopping cart)
-You understand security, SSL, encryption and how payment processors works.

If you can't say partly 'yes' to any of these, you should tell your client that.
If you want to provide this for clients in the future, start building your own to get familiar with what's needed to be able to provide this for pay.

gregfindley.com
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, I have already made the client aware of my non existent experience. But he is still keen to use me for the design, so we are looking into other ways such as Fasthosts e-commerce package?

Does anyone know of any other packages similar to Fasthosts offering?

Thanks
Greg

ramandeep
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
use a opensource shopping cart system ,rather than paying for setup and monthly!
Use zencart or oscommerce,you can use paypal as payment processor or there are many options for gateway.

ramandeep
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
hey Dom, CI,

It duplicates the message in quotes when you edit your post. check out!

Creative Insanity
02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
didn't notice that ram and edited yours 4 times and nothing.

Creative Insanity
02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
didn't notice that ram and edited yours 4 times and nothing.

Anyway back on topic. Greg, what you could do is done what I done to start with.
I bought a script cart that could be plugged into any site and past the cost onto the customers that were on the books at the time. Lucky for me it was nearly Christmas, so there was a few waiting to get shops done for the silly season.
I bought this one (http://www.vcart.co.nz/) as it is very easy once you get to grips with it. In the end I made my own.
The ones like osc etc I find to restrictive and we all know what I think about cms sites ah LOL.

gregfindley.com
02-15-2006, 11:15 PM
OK thanks CI, is there a UK equivalent? ... or would it be ok to use?

How easy did you find it to integrate/change design of their templates, etc?

Thanks,
Greg

Creative Insanity
02-15-2006, 11:24 PM
cms are edable to a certain extent and then you can change no more without some major scripting *ducks ram's swings LOL*, and in that case I recon might as well make your own.
As for the one I bought, it was just a cart script and nothing more. This could be intergrated into any site I was creating as well as an excisting site. Came with good docs as well.
That is why I pointed you to that one on macromedia as I have done that one also and it is just a cart also and you can take the parts you need for your own site and then use that. In that way I find that you know how things are working and if an error happens you will know where to look to fix it, being as you created it all your self. Also I will not mention the learning you will gain from it.

gregfindley.com
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
ok thanks CI. Im basically looking to get a cart solution like the one you mentioned to get an idea on how they work and are structured. From there I will begin looking into ways of making my own!!! (scary thought! lol)

http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/shopping-cart-software.htm

Do you think something like that would be suitable? I realise there is a large start-up cost, but my customer has indicated he doesnt mind paying a large fee to start off with.

Thanks for all your help and advice as ever! I don't know how I'd survive the world of web design without THE CLUB!

Greg

EDIT: Or maybe this (expensive!?!?!)... http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/developer.htm

HeadAche
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm looking to make ecommerce sites soon myself. I have an added pain of trying to make it link into some CRM EPOS software we make so I think im gonna have to make it with something opensource or write the thing myself (gulp).

My uncle has Actinic though, he sells laminated table cloths. I must admit, if I was looking to build a stright ecommerce site then I would propably go with Actinic, they seem to be doing alright for awards and recomendations.

Actinic also make a dreamweaver extention so you can design edit and build through that.

I just like the idea of everything being there, the shop front, admin and the back end to pint off invoices and envelopes at the click of a button.

Their website does'nt do a very good job of explaining things though, and they seem to lack video demos / tutorials which most people seem to provide these days.

davidj
11-15-2006, 11:20 AM
lack video demos / tutorials which most people seem to provide these days.

you'd better beleive it good buddy

Yes i would recomend actinic. Even if you were a great developer it would still be cheaper to buy 'off the shelf' than it would to build it yourself.
Why reinvent the wheel especially when the wheel is a pretty darn good one at that.