PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a DSN/server

rich
02-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Hello all. So far, Ive been using IIS. There, the DSN is connected through ODBC/IIS with no problems, but i need it on the server.

Does anyone know how one may go around setting up this? We have our own dedicated server. Thanks.

davidj
02-14-2006, 01:51 PM
do you have IIS installed on your server?

If not you need to install this from your installation disks

If your on a host with a dedicated sever then you need to confirm with your host that this is installed

rich
02-15-2006, 09:53 AM
So one must connect to the server/IIS you mean? Not sure how one could install a program on a dedicated server. So far, ive only connected to ther server by using CuteFTP/my PC and uploading images through that way.

davidj
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
no you dont understand

has your dedicated server got IIS installed?

do you have admin rights over this server or is it leased from a hosting company?

rich
02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes, I have access now to the "Remote Desktop Connection", and IIS. So.....are there any tips on how to connect the IIS/Database? Assuming that I would need to use Data Sources (ODBC)? (cant find it in the system)

thanks for the help! :)

davidj
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
you need to place your db in the root of your site and then point to it through a connection string (its been along time with IIS for me )

in your connections file of your site you should have the connection string setup. Post this please

rich
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
The "connection string" - its all set up through Dreamweaver though isnt it?

The folder i have that was created by dreamweaver (Connections) has this info -

<%
' FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' DesigntimeType="ADO"
' HTTP="false"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
Dim MM_mysite_STRING
MM_mysite_STRING = "dsn=mysite;"
%>

Please use the code tag when adding code.

rich
02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
hello, i managed to find a ODBC in the Remote Desktop in our dedicated server. I set up a DSN database link.....Now...sometimes the ASP pages work - then some of them dont. Any ideas why this may happen? Im generally getting this -

"Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/mysite/chain.asp, line 8"

?? cheers

davidj
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
i dont know what you mean by remote desktop

Creative Insanity
02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I would say switch to php and end all your worries. Mysql ia WAY easier to use.

davidj
02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
oh yes please

this post is givin me a headache

please move to apache

rich
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
"i dont know what you mean by remote desktop" - this is the program that controls the dedicated server.

"I would say switch to php and end all your worries. Mysql ia WAY easier to use." - thx, but i have no expereince of Mysql or PHP. Spent too much time using a Access/Database to switch over.....

Creative Insanity
02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Never too late to switch over. I will be adding another vtm on installing apache, mysql and php on a windows platform.

If you already know asp then the switch to php and mysql will be easy,
An access database is not reliable and cannot handle as many connections as I have seen it crash with as little as 15. Mysql can take thousands and it just sits there saying 'is that all you got'

rich
02-16-2006, 11:15 AM
i see......perhaps u can give me a URL, switching over? If its that easy, sure i would like to try.

But back to the access database....it runs perfectly actually - BUT, you have to wait about 2-3 minutes for the pages to link properly, it seems. Any ideas why this is happening?

rich
02-16-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15432 This seems to work the Time outs
. Thank you for all your help there though guys, really appreciate it :)

davidj
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
thats an old work-around as it refers to UltraDev

but as long as its working thats great

please do yourself a fav and move over to WAMP/LAMP