PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Hosting

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

Just been looking into getting a dedicated host for my website customers, found webfusion to be the cheapest at 26/month with 7500mb space and 100 domains, which looks like a great price to me, has anyone else had experience of WebFusion? (i believe they're part of Pipex)

Or does anyone know of a good dedicated server host?

Thanks,
Greg

ramandeep
02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi Greg,
The one you saw for 26/month is a VPS and and not a dediacated server.
They have dedicated server starting as 80/month.

Do you need a dedicated server?

Creative Insanity
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
That is EXPENSIVE..
*running a mile from those prices*

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Sorry yes you're right it is a VPS. Do you think this may be suitable for what I'm after? (To host multiple domains)

Thanks,
Greg

ramandeep
02-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi Greg,
yes if you need to host multiple domains thats might be an option,but there are many cheap and better options avalaible.
Search on net a bit you will find them.

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok thanks, would you say a VPS is going to be best?

Thanks,
Greg

ramandeep
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes Greg the option is fine but mind the bandwidth of that package.

domedia
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
You might want to look for a reseller account. Many webhosts have that available. Perfect if you manage and host your clients websites. But it really depends on your needs. 'Best' is a relative term :)

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 05:36 PM
(Sorry 'best' is a rather broad term!)

Ok thanks ramandeep and domedia, I will look into the reseller accounts,

Does anyone else use reseller accounts or VPS? any recommendations?

Thanks,
Greg

domedia
02-13-2006, 05:41 PM
again recommendations for what? :)
VPS is good if you're able to manage your own server (vps=virtual private server), reseller accounts good if you resell small hosting accounts. Managed servers are great if you have a large website and need someon to do all the techincal stuff for you.. etc.
How much bandwidth do you need? Does it need to be managed or not? will you host multiple websites etc . Many questions, but you've been sparse with sharing your needs :) heck, maybe even ramandeep's services would fit you :) But post some details (I know hosting can be complex when you start out), and we'll able to give better advice.

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
ok thanks :D

Again being very sparse with details as not entirely sure myself!!

Basically I need hosting so that I can offer domain and hosting services to my website customers. Some customers may just want a design so I will need to provide FTP details so they can update their site? Im also interested in being able to offer hosting seperately to contacts who already have websites setup and running. I also need to be able to setup e-mail accounts for my seperate customers.

I dont imagine the sites to be very big in size, imagining 10MB would be enough for each site! Looking to host as many domain/sites as possible. Perhaps 25 to start with in the first year?

In terms of bandwidth-- I have no idea?! as havent had much experience on what I use, or how much I am likely to use/need?!

Sorry for the lack of detail, any advice appreciated!!!
Greg

domedia
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the type of hosting you need is a 'reseller' type of hosting package.
Some hosts might not call it that, but make sure you can run several websites on the package. Since you're located in the u.k I imagine most of your clients are as well, so you should probably look for a u.k. host, and I can't help you there.

tip: If you can wait awhile, we're about to run some contests here art dreamweaverclub.com where winning prize is actually a free hosting package. Details will go out within a week, and contest will last about 2-3 weeks (not established yet).

gregfindley.com
02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
thanks domedia,

That sounds good! I'll keep an eye out for it! 8)

Greg