PDA

View Full Version : Need server/host. Is Dreamweaver & Godaddy compatible?

fishugly
02-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I registered my domain name w/ Godaddy, I have heard some speak highly of them and, they seem very reasonably priced. Below is what I got from thier site:

Deluxe Plan:
• 10 GB Space • 500 GB Transfer • 1000 Email Accounts
• FREE! $25 Google AdWords™ Credit • 25 MySQL Databases
• Unlimited Email Forwards • Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries
• FREE! Software • No ads

1 month: Just $9.95/mo
12 months: Just $8.96/mo
24 months: Just $7.96/mo

What do you all think,...reasonable?

Also, I was also told to make sure my chosen server/host would allow me to use FTP to upload my site. According to Godaddy's site, they feature "24x7 FTP access". I assume this is what I'm looking for, correct?

Any insight would be appreciated.

domedia
02-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes, godaddy supports regular FTP access which 99% of webhosts do :)

dthomsen8
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I registered my domain name w/ Godaddy, I have heard some speak highly of them and, they seem very reasonably priced. Below is what I got from thier site:

Deluxe Plan:
• 10 GB Space • 500 GB Transfer • 1000 Email Accounts
• FREE! $25 Google AdWords™ Credit • 25 MySQL Databases
• Unlimited Email Forwards • Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries

1 month: Just $9.95/mo
12 months: Just $8.96/mo
24 months: Just $7.96/mo

What do you all think,...reasonable?

Any insight would be appreciated.

How big a site are you planning to create? 10Gb of disk space is lot of disk space. One Gigabyte would be a pretty big site, from scratch. Whether it is reasonable or not depends on how big and complex a web site you expect to have.

fishugly
02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks, you two.

And dthomsen8, my site is very simple and not very big. Currently, it's only 141 MB. That's with no images but there won't be a ton of those.

Maybe Godaddy's Economy Plan, at less than $4/month, would be the ticket? Below is that package:

Economy Plan:
• 5 GB Space • 250 GB Transfer • 500 Email Accounts
• 10 MySQL Databases • 50 Email Forwards
• Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries

Speaking of which, if you or some one would like to take a closer look and tell me what you think, I would appreciate it.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=4748

I'm not sure what all I need. My site is for a small business but will not have on-line ordering. It may have a couple of forms: email & survey.

I'm not familar with "MySQL Databases & 50 Email Forwards" so don't know if the Economy Plan will fit my needs. Can someone explain those two items to me?

Thanks again.

dthomsen8
02-13-2006, 09:13 PM
The Economy Plan is fine for your purposes. I cannot see how you can possibly exceed those limits. If you have that wild a success, GoDaddy will gladly upgrade you to the next level.

Pick the Linux server and get PHP with it. Just be very careful with your file names. Linux is case sensitive, so it is best to be very consistent and always use lower case. Dreamweaver will help you do renames if needed. Image extensions like JPG are a trap for the unwary, though.

If you have any concern about file names, pick a Windows server, but I think you will be fine with Linux, which is what I am using, at another hosting company, and at BlueRazor, another way GoDaddy markets.

My only caution with GoDaddy is to not bite on any of their add-ons that they push when you register a name or order web hosting. Don't take any of them without consulting people in this forum first.

fishugly
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
dthomsen8,

I appreciate your help.

One more question though. What is the advantage of Linux over Windows?

Simplicity is a huge plus for me.

Thanks again.

Creative Insanity
02-13-2006, 10:22 PM
What is the advantage of Linux over Windows?
Oh dear where do I start!

1. Linux doesn't crash.
2. Linux does what you ask without complaining.
3. Linux has no MS budget code.
4. Linux does not require a service pack or update every day.
5. Linux just works all the time where windows is hit and miss.
6. 95% of hosting providers use Linux.

I could go on but I think you get the picture 8)

fishugly
02-14-2006, 02:43 AM
CI,

That sounds good enough for me.

Thanks! :)

Creative Insanity
02-14-2006, 05:31 AM
7. Linux hoster are way cheaper also.

LOL

domedia
02-14-2006, 01:09 PM
6. 95% of hosting providers use Linux.What are you smoking over there, CI? ;)

davidj
02-14-2006, 01:11 PM
repesct your elders dom

domedia
02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
repesct your elders dom
Actually I should have, Ci is almost right.. Microsoft is now down to barely above 20% and Sun is loosing marketshare steadily. Zeus who once ruled the server world, is now under 1%. You go Apache! ;) lol

dthomsen8
02-14-2006, 02:06 PM
7. Linux hoster are way cheaper also.

True in general, but in this particular case, Godaddy offers both at the same price.