PDA

View Full Version : change a page, change every page

devin09
02-13-2006, 05:11 AM
i designed my site in DW. put up everything and that's that. let's say i am tired of this particular design. how can i change one page and make every other page update themselves by referencing to the page whose layout i just changed?

sounds like a template?

dthomsen8
02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Is Sands of Time your site? If so, it uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and it is easy to change the appearance of every page by changing the CSS page.

If it is not your site, the same remarks apply if you used CSS. If you did not use CSS, then you may have a major rewriting job ahead.

Please let us know your URL.

devin09
02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
no i was using a hypothetical example. my site is not up yet. i tried to use the template feature in DW but whenever i change the template it asks me if i would like to update all pages that is based on the template. i clicked yes and the progress bar shows a succesfful update.

but when i checked the pages, not all were updated according to template and not everything were updated. i even tried the Modify > TEmplates > Apply template to page but it still turns out same.

EDIT: I just uploaded a draft at http://www.admissions-guide.info. If you see the footer at the front page there're three clickable links at the bottom. but navigate to some other working pages and you see that the footer only contains one link.

dthomsen8
02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I just uploaded a draft at http://www.admissions-guide.info. If you see the footer at the front page there're three clickable links at the bottom. but navigate to some other working pages and you see that the footer only contains one link.

Now that you have provided more information, I see that it really is a templates problem, and not CSS. I will leave it to others to respond on templates, which are not something I know very well.

Best wishes!

johnph77
02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
If, for instance, you wanted to change a background on all pages in files contained in a particular folder, you could use the "Find and Replace" command in Code mode to change the background URL and, before you execute the change, select that folder rather than the open file to which you want that change to apply (from the old background URL to the new one) and execute the Find and Replace. Please note that if this command is used in this manner, you cannot undo that change - you'll have to reverse the Find and Replace command again to undo.

domedia
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Dudes, create dreamweaver templates. It was specifically built for this.

devin09
02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
i did create a template. i based all my pages on this template. :?:

domedia
02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
i did create a template. i based all my pages on this template. :?:
Then change your .dwt files and dreamweaver will automatically update all your pages,isn't that why you used a dreamweaver template? :)

devin09
02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Then change your .dwt files and dreamweaver will automatically update all your pages,isn't that why you used a dreamweaver template?that's exactly what i did and what i expected dreamwaevear to do! strange isn't it? but somehow it's not working......the message says "updated 7 pages" but when i check those 7 pages they're still teh same. :(

domedia
02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
This question is of technical manner, please paste your dwt page in here, using code tags :)

devin09
02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>admissions-guide.info - College Admissions Guide</title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
body,td,th {
font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif;
}
body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
background-color: #E2C6FF;
}
a:link {
color: #6600CC;
text-decoration: underline;
}
a:visited {
color: #6600CC;
}
a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
color: #FF9900;
}
a:active {
color: #99FF00;
}
-->
</style>
<link href="../external.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">
<!--
.heading1 {font-size: 12px}
h1 {
font-size: 18px;
}
.style1 {font-style: italic}
.style2 {font-size: 11px}
-->
</style>
<script type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
}

function MM_findObj(n, d) { //v4.01
var p,i,x; if(!d) d=document; if((p=n.indexOf("?"))>0&&parent.frames.length) {
d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i<d.forms.length;i++) x=d.forms[i][n];
for(i=0;!x&&d.layers&&i<d.layers.length;i++) x=MM_findObj(n,d.layers[i].document);
if(!x && d.getElementById) x=d.getElementById(n); return x;
}

function MM_nbGroup(event, grpName) { //v6.0
var i,img,nbArr,args=MM_nbGroup.arguments;
if (event == "init" && args.length > 2) {
if ((img = MM_findObj(args[2])) != null && !img.MM_init) {
img.MM_init = true; img.MM_up = args[3]; img.MM_dn = img.src;
if ((nbArr = document[grpName]) == null) nbArr = document[grpName] = new Array();
nbArr[nbArr.length] = img;
for (i=4; i < args.length-1; i+=2) if ((img = MM_findObj(args[i])) != null) {
if (!img.MM_up) img.MM_up = img.src;
img.src = img.MM_dn = args[i+1];
} }
} else if (event == "over") {
document.MM_nbOver = nbArr = new Array();
for (i=1; i < args.length-1; i+=3) if ((img = MM_findObj(args[i])) != null) {
img.src = (img.MM_dn && args[i+2]) ? args[i+2] : ((args[i+1])? args[i+1] : img.MM_up);
}
} else if (event == "out" ) {
for (i=0; i < document.MM_nbOver.length; i++) {
img = document.MM_nbOver[i]; img.src = (img.MM_dn) ? img.MM_dn : img.MM_up; }
} else if (event == "down") {
nbArr = document[grpName];
if (nbArr)
for (i=0; i < nbArr.length; i++) { img=nbArr[i]; img.src = img.MM_up; img.MM_dn = 0; }
document[grpName] = nbArr = new Array();
for (i=2; i < args.length-1; i+=2) if ((img = MM_findObj(args[i])) != null) {
img.src = img.MM_dn = (args[i+1])? args[i+1] : img.MM_up;
} }
}

function MM_swapImgRestore() { //v3.0
var i,x,a=document.MM_sr; for(i=0;a&&i<a.length&&(x=a[i])&&x.oSrc;i++) x.src=x.oSrc;
}

function MM_swapImage() { //v3.0
var i,j=0,x,a=MM_swapImage.arguments; document.MM_sr=new Array; for(i=0;i<(a.length-2);i+=3)
if ((x=MM_findObj(a[i]))!=null){document.MM_sr[j++]=x ; if(!x.oSrc) x.oSrc=x.src; x.src=a[i+2];}
}
//-->
</script>

</head>

<body onload="MM_preloadImages('../Images/home_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/home_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/firststeps_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/search_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/applying_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/tests_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/eca_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/essay_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/financial_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/academics_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/whathappen_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/transfers_rollover.gif','../Images/Buttons/homeschoolers_rollover.gif')">

<table width="780" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td height="120" colspan="2" class="header"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="133" class="menuleft"><p align="center"> ../Images/Buttons/home.gif (#)</p>
<p align="center">../Images/Buttons/firststeps.gif (../first_steps/index.html)</p>

../Images/Buttons/search.gif (#)[/url]</p>

../Images/Buttons/applying.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/academics.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/tests.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/eca.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/essay.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/financial.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/whathappen.gif (#)</p>

[url="#"]../Images/Buttons/transfers.gif (#)</p>

../Images/Buttons/homeschoolers.gif (#)</p>

</p>

</p></td>
<td width="607" class="cellmainbody"><h1 align="right" class="style1">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="100" height="20" title="Resources">
<param name="BGCOLOR" value="#E2C6FF" />
<param name="movie" value="../button2.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="../button2.swf" width="100" height="20" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#E2C6FF" ></embed>
</object>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="100" height="20" title="Contact">
<param name="movie" value="../button1.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#E2C6FF" />
<embed src="../button1.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="20" bgcolor="#E2C6FF"></embed>
</object>
</h1>
<h1 class="style1"></h1>

</p></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="85" colspan="2" align="center" valign="top" class="footer">

Home (../index.html) | First Steps (../first_steps/index.html) | The Search Begins | Applying | Academics | Standardized Tests

ECAs | Essay Writing | <span class="style2">Financial Aid</span> | What Happens Next? | Transfers | Homeschoolers

Contact The Webmaster | Resources | Terms of Use (../tos.html)</p>

2006 admissions-guide.info

All Rights Reserved . No content may be reproduced without express permission of their respective author(s). </p></td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>
this is the entire code for the template. i try to give some description:

apparently when i change the left menu bar, all the pages updated themselves. it is at the footer when i make changes and nothing happens to the rest of the page, although DW says "update successful".

thanks for your time!

kona72
02-17-2006, 03:32 AM
You don't have a template applied to this page. If you did it would have code simliar to this....

You need to apply the template to each page now.
Modify>templates>applt templates to page.

You will alos have to assign any editable regions you may have...