PDA

View Full Version : Connection to ODBC MS ACCESS database on remote server?

som4
02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm quite new to odbc and what it can do. I want to connect to a datbase on my webspace (swirlybird.co.uk) I have been given mySql datbases but they wont setup an odbc connection on these. I've created an access datbase as this is about the only thing they will do(that and MS SQL but that costs 199).

All i want to do is get dreamweaver to access this database. If i code up an asp p-age myself it will connect.

I've tried lots of different types of connection strings but none seem to work. I just keep getting "server has timed out, make sure you have an odbc dsn..."
The dsn is db_swirlybird. The location of the database is swirlybird.co.uk/private/db_swirlybird.mdb.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ramandeep
02-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I am not very good with ASP though but i think you can find out the server path by
Server.MapPath() command,it returns the full path of the server when given the realtive path of the database.

for example
Server.MapPath("/myway/data/abc.mdb")

returns full path as
E:\HTDOCS\rdsnetworks\myway\data\abc.mdb

try this!

Creative Insanity
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
asp and mysql?? I don't think so. Try using php and you will get a database connection.

som4
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
sorry not very clear.

I tried using my web providers database server with my mysql databases. But these wont connect as dreamweaver says the server timed out as there was no odbc dsn. So i created an odbc dsn with an ms access database as my provider doesn't allow this with mysql.

I'm using an odbc dsn that points to an ms access database and .asp pages.

Creative Insanity
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry I do not use asp or access.. and not many here that do.

davidj
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
you would be better off using PHP and MYSQL

rich
02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
som4, you are trying to connect locally first yes? Check this out - http://dreamweaverfever.com/pain/default.asp