PDA

View Full Version : Align menu to some elements

mihaidv
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello,

Although it may sound a stupid thread, i dare to ask because i am confronting with this matter for a couple of days, and i don't foresee a solution. I am rookie with Dreamweaver.

I have this design for a website, with the banner of the company right in the top of the page, and under it, i should have horizontal menu. And this menu has to be aligned under the banner, but not to left, not to right of the screen, not in the center of the screen (bottom middle of the banner), but somewhere in the middle of the 3/4 part of the screen (horizontally talking). so like a small graphic:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| B A N N E R | |
home|services|catalog|contact |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope i realized in a small way to make you understand what i ment to say.

So can anyone suggest me a way of aligning the menu at the bottom of the banner, instead of using the functions of align: right, left, center, bottom, absolute bottom etc.

Thank you so very much,
Michael.

PS: aah, i see the preview and the lines that i draw here do not appear correctly.

domedia
02-08-2006, 01:45 PM
micheal, can you draw in phtoshop/psp/mspaint a quick sketch of what you are trying to do?
Or maybe you have some html code already that you are working on that you can paste in here?

gmcrone
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
If you are using CSS to create the page, then create a div for you nav area and set the "margin:left xpx" in to wherever you want the nav to go.

Mike...

mihaidv
02-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Hello Domedia and Mike,

Thank you for your replies/advices. I finally realised the way of doing it without any other complications.

What did i have to do: align all kind of texts, images to certain places of the page. But for that i should have used the absolute align, mentioning the exact parameters at which i wanted my pictures, texts etc. to be situated.

So, instead of this complicated matter, i have found out (although i am sure it is there for so long) about creating a page based on tables. :D So, i created tables (in Dreamweaver) whereever i wanted, and i positioned'em so to suit my project, and then inside of those tales i placed wether i wanted.

Huh, it was so easy, but stupid me.. :)

Thank you so much, because i am beginner and every new advice, every new good word, represent a big impulse for me.

And i have to admit it, i adore it, more and more, with each passing day.

Have an excellent day!
Michael.

Creative Insanity
02-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Tables 1 divs 0 LOL

I love tables, tables are your friend and way easier to work with ;)

dthomsen8
02-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Think about how wide you want your page to be, and how it will look to users with their display set at 800 pixels wide, or 1024, or more.

Once you have a page published on the web, send us a URL, and you will get more help.

mihaidv
02-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Indeed tables are best, huh! i've discovered this method recently. :D

I have almost finished this website. It is my first project. Not so huge, not so important, but it is a small website, just as for beginners. I hope i will finish all the retouches today, and will upload it afterwards. Will post the link so you to make some comments. Just can't wait! :)

mihaidv
02-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Hello, i have almost finished the website. Can you please take a look at:

www.sector1online.de/mrs

Now the problem is the next one. I have to create a submenu for Projekte (button) on the left frame. When i rollover the mouse over Projekte, in the right of Projekte, 3 buttons (2004, 2005, 2006) should appear like this:

Projekte 2004

And 2005, 2006 should be under 2004.
So i got a java script and adapted to what i needed. It works, it does me exactly this thing, but i have to open the files in the main frame, which it doesn't do that, it opens them in the same frame with the script.

I have started now to create all from the beginning a new menu (for left side) in Fireworks, but i still don't know which would be the best way to do it. That is because only for the menu in the left frame i need a submenu (and that is for the projekte page). For the menu in the top frame, there are no submenus, so no problem, i easily created them directly in Dreamweaver.

Sorry for the long story, but can anyone suggest a solution.
Thank you so much,
Michael.

dthomsen8
02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Michael,

I don't know how to solve the technical problem you describe, but I would comment:

1) Be sure to change the <title> on every page to an informative one. This is important for search engine placement, and for users to see. DW makes it easy to set the title.

2) The welcome page has an impressive graphic which carries through to the rest of the site, which is good, but some developers don't like entry pages at all. I hope others in the forum will comment on that.

David

www.sector1online.de/mrs

Michael.

domedia
02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Great advice, couldnt have said it better..
ps.thomsen, I think you've set bbcodes disabled by default in your user option. every reply you do is not encoding the bbtags like 'quote'
Michael,

I don't know how to solve the technical problem you describe, but I would comment:

1) Be sure to change the <title> on every page to an informative one. This is important for search engine placement, and for users to see. DW makes it easy to set the title.

2) The welcome page has an impressive graphic which carries through to the rest of the site, which is good, but some developers don't like entry pages at all. I hope others in the forum will comment on that.

David

www.sector1online.de/mrs

Michael.

mihaidv
02-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advices. I will work for the tiles of each pages, so to change the "Untitled Page" name.

On the other hand, i have to work on it to resize it a little, because i see that at lower resolutions it looks awful.

Does anyone know how to lock the website, in fact to stretch the website depending on how each visitor has his resolution set? I mean, when i have 1024 i see it in one way, with scroller on the right, if i change to higher resolutions, to 1280 for eg, then it looks good. Any idea how to solve this?

Thank you,
Michael.

Creative Insanity
02-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Look at this (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-dhtml-menu.php) for you menu idea.

Remove the splash.. not need and a waste of a click.
See if you can use the graphic in the site somewhere.