PDA

View Full Version : code to clear your cache...?

chriskq
02-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Wondering if anyone knew of some code that can be used to clear your browser cache.

FF is great as it does this automatically. But dam ye olde IE doesnt.
example: Im replacing a flash intro object (flash movie [that can be skipped] that loads before the index page loads) with a newer object.

so can your code tell the broswer and or server to clear the cache for that specific site? coz IE loads the older flash intro, instead of the newer one.

any help much appreciated... cheers

domedia
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
CTRL+F5 should work in both browsers

chriskq
02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
v.true DoM, Thats all when and good for web users like us, but what when a client says 'i keep seeing the old flash intro' and like they dont want to have to press ctrl F5... there like i shouldnt have to do that...

and code to make ur browser clear the cache automatically before it starts loading the page. Maybe some sort of meta code??
any other ideas

dthomsen8
02-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Worse yet, some clients use AOL, and don't understand that AOL often provides a less than current web page. No, I have no idea about how to force a refresh, though.

domedia
02-02-2006, 02:14 AM
aol is always tricky due to their proxies.
I'll post the code to clear cahce when page loads tomorrow.

domedia
02-05-2006, 10:09 PM
ok, try this. I think this meta tag should work:<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">

chriskq
02-06-2006, 12:29 AM
cheers (again dom)
will try to see if that works dis arvo. Thanks again..

Abby Normal
02-06-2006, 04:08 AM
I have been following this thread as I am on AOL and have this problem. Out of curiosity, I contacted AOL Tech Support today. They said it was usually a problem caused by spyware or a virus. They had me clear my Footprints as a start. If that doesn't work, they sent me a list of things to try. (I haven't had a chance to see if updating now works, so Ihaven't tried any of the additional steps.)

FYI -- Here is the things to try per AOL Tech Support:

There are several possible causes for this, so I have provided a number of solutions. After trying each solution, check to see if it resolved your issue. If it did not, please try the next solution listed. I recommend you save or print a copy of this e-mail for future reference.

A. INITIATE KEYWORD: BROWSER FIX TO ACTIVATE TUNNELING
Tunneling allows the use of the Internet, which is a public network, to convey data on behalf of a private network.

1. Go to AOL© Keyword: Browser Fix. This shows the message with 0, confirming that tunneling has been turned on within the client.
2. Shut down the AOL© software, then restart the computer.

NOTE: If this does not correct the problem, please return to AOL Keyword: Browser Fix to turn tunneling off. A message with a "1" will appear, confirming that tunneling has been turned off.

B. CLEAR THE WEB BROWSER CACHE AND REBUILD THE AOL© ADAPTER
A damaged Web browser cache and/or a damaged AOL Adapter may cause this issue. Windows© networking requires that a network adapter exist for any application that must access the Internet. The AOL software uses the AOL Adapter to access the Internet.

1. Sign off and close the AOL software.
2. On the end of the Windows© taskbar next to the clock, click the AOL© icon, then click SYSTEM INFORMATION.

NOTE: If the AOL icon is not displayed, click the START button, select PROGRAMS or ALL PROGRAMS, select AMERICA ONLINE, then click AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION.

3. Click the OK button.
4. Click the UTILITIES tab.
5. In the BROWSER section, next to CURRENT CACHE, click the CLEAR button until the Current Cache Size reads 0 KB.
6. In the AOL UTILITIES section, next to AOL ADAPTER, click the REBUILD button.
7. Click the OK button.
8. Click the CLOSE button.
9. Restart the computer and launch the AOL software again. The AOL Adapter will be rebuilt automatically.

C. RUN WEB UTILITY
Webutil restores system settings to resolve connection and browsing problems.

1. On the end of the Windows taskbar next to the clock, click the AOL icon, then click SYSTEM INFORMATION.

NOTE: If the AOL icon is not displayed, click the START button, select PROGRAMS or ALL PROGRAMS, select AMERICA ONLINE, then click AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION.

2. Click the OK button.
3. Click the UTILITIES tab.
4. Under NETWORK section, next to WEBUTIL, click the OPEN button. The WebUtil tool will now conduct a system check.
5. Click the OK button.
6. Click the CLOSE button.

D. RUN AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION
If you have downloaded the AOL Safety and Security Center, please run the AOL spyware Protection program by going to AOL keyword: SPYWARE then click the RUN NOW button.

It is also recommended that you run more than one Anti Spyware program. You can download other Spyware programs from AOL keyword: DOWNLOAD, then on the SEARCH box, type: ANTI SPYWARE.

If Spyware programs are detected, please choose to block them.

E. RUN ANTI VIRUS SCAN FROM AOL SAFETY AND SECURITY CENTER
Go to AOL keyword: VIRUS SCAN then click the RUN/SCAN button.

F. DOWNLOAD AND RUN MCAFEE© STINGER
Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist you when dealing with an infected system.
To download and run Mcafee© Stinger, please follow the steps below:
1. Sign on to the AOL© software.
2. Go to Keyword: Stinger.
3. Click the DOWNLOAD STINGER.EXE link after you have gone through the instructions on that page.

NOTE: You can also download Mcafee Stinger by visiting the Mcafee Stinger download page: http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger.

Creative Insanity
02-06-2006, 05:13 AM
What a lot of mucking around. I think if it requires all that just to clear something as a cache I would be changing ISPs very fast.
You poor AOL users.. this sucks.

Abby Normal
02-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Here is a follow-up to my post with the AOL "fixes" -- looks like clearing Footprints (whatever they are) yesterday as originally suggested by the AOL tech support has solved my problem (at least for today).

davidj
02-06-2006, 12:52 PM
drop aol please

you have out grown it simply by being a member on this forum

domedia
02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Largest ISP in the states, so that's useful info. But only pertains to AOL users.
Here is a follow-up to my post with the AOL "fixes" -- looks like clearing Footprints (whatever they are) yesterday as originally suggested by the AOL tech support has solved my problem (at least for today).