PDA

View Full Version : Background music problem... full play during browsing?

saz69r
01-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I've successfully inserted background music onto my main template. However, when I browse my site and change pages, the song restarts. Is there anyway of allowing the song to fully play during browsing? I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and a slightly olser version of Flash(MX).

Thanks

domedia
01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
nope, you can't. What I've seen some people do is spawn a little pop-up window for people that wants to listen to music. That way you can browse while listening.
Personally, I leave a website asap if it got music. I surf with my own music playing and can't stand the interuption :)

Abby Normal
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
As an aside, be careful when incorporating music into your website. Two problems:
1) The viewer may like your website, but not the music.
2) If the viewer has dial-up, loading the music slows everything down considerably.

If I encounter a website with music, I usually kick out of it. Best to give the viewer a choice whether he wants to hear the music before forcing it on him/her.

(Oops, Domedia beat me to it by a minute. Great minds ...)

domedia
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
.. think alike :)

saz69r, I would give this idea some more thought. Do you want music on your website because *you* think it's cool, or because you *know* your audience wants music? There is a reason you mostly find music on geocities/myspace kind of websites (my daughter has music on her's, she won't listen to me ;) ), and not on the 'professional' websites you browse through during the day. There are exceptions though, mostly among websites in the entertainment industry, which also are heavy users of Flash.

devin09
01-30-2006, 05:12 PM
yeah it's not always wise to put music on your site. make sure you do what your audience wants and not nesicessaerly what you want/

saz69r
01-30-2006, 05:28 PM
My website is coursework so its not going to be professionally hosted. As the site is based around a music group, thought I'd stick one of their tracks on as backing music. Not going to be any viewers so not really important if anyone else would like it or not. For my own preference really, its starting to annoy me that I can't preview without it restarting at every page switch.

domedia
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
If it's a band website, you should make some of the songs (or parts of them) available for download instead :)

Creative Insanity
01-30-2006, 06:12 PM
The trick to this is setup your site into 2 frames.
Create a frameset with one 2px frame at the top and in that frame you play your sound and the rest of the site goes into the remaining frame under the 2px one. But there are 2 things you have to remember here.
1. Make sure your links do not goto blank or parent. Name the 2px frame something like music and the remaining frame something like main_site and target all your links to main_site.
2. FF will open another browser for the music if someone has quicktime installed and setup for net streaming.