PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a good DW8 book?

thundercade
01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm looking for a book to learn Dreamweaver 8 (other than manuals). I've fooled around a bit with MX in the past just to create simple web pages, and I understand some basic HTML, but that's about it. I've checked online, and there are several "learn dw 8" books, but most are too new to have many insiteful online reviews (that I've found anyway). Does anyone have a good recommendation?

ranjan
01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
if you are serious about learning to create web sites, my recommendations would be

1. Uninstall Dreamweaver
2. Get a (X)HTML / CSS Book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/103-0833747-6476652?field-keywords=xhtml+css&mode=blended&tag=mozilla-20&sourceid=Mozilla-search
3. Learn HTML CSS first using notepad
4. Once you are comfortable writing code on your own reinstall dreamweaver.

You will never need a book for dreamweaver if you know html / css

thundercade
01-30-2006, 01:39 AM
I appreciate the recommendation - I'm curious, why do you say so?

ranjan
01-30-2006, 03:53 AM
Dreamweaver writes code for you. If used correctly dreamweaver writes excellent code, if used wrongly however, the code can be bloated.

To control what dreamweaver does behind your back, you need to know its language (HTML/CSS). If not its very easy for dreamweaver to cheat you.

Also when you apply for jobs, usually people will ask you if you can hand code. Some work places maynot want to invest in a costly editor like dreamweaver. If you know HTML/CSS you are not bound to any editor.

devin09
01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
i learn abit about HTML and CSS through my blog. I tweak around with the code and see what visual changes take place, and i take note of that.

domedia
01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Depending on your skills.. some people get intimidated by the manual and are better off with the Dummies series. The book is discussed in another thread:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1897