PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE TO DREAMWEAVER

Nayla
01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Hiya everybody!!!!!

Please if there is anyone that can help me I would be eternally grateful as I so confused and think I'm going to cry. :(

Question= I have created a Frame but every time I open file the information does not display as a complete site but rather on seperate pages.

How do I therefore open the file so that it displays as a complete page and not in individuals????

domedia
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi Nayla, make sure your links has a target attribute. The target attribute tells the browser where it should opne the page. In frames, you often want a page to open in a specific frame.
The code looks something like this:
Link (file.html)

When that is said, you would probably have a *much* easier time if you just made regular webpages, instead of using frames. Frames is an archaic web technology, and it's full of pittfalls, not only for you as a web designer but also for people that have to use your website. If you have any questions on how to make websites without frames, make sure you ask again as well :)

Nayla
01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Thank you for your advice, but I'm even more confused.

I would pay someone to do this but the last guy I used charged me an arm and a leg and I can't go through that again.

I'm just finding this all a bit overwhelming.

Thanks again

Nayla

domedia
01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your advice, but I'm even more confused.
What are you confused about? If you'll paste your code here, we can see if we can get you jumpstarted. In your sourcecode, there should be code similar to what I posted above.

Make sure you read the manual so you know how to use the software as well, you need the basics down in order to understand any advice.

Nayla
01-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Question again -

This code that you mentioned there is that put at the start of the body of the code e.g.

<body>
<a href etc etc >

Nayla

Nayla
01-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok Let me try and explain again.

I went to File New and selected to create Framesets. Now when the frameset displays it's all together, and when I insert info in them I then have to save them all individually i.e. if I have a Frameset with 3 areas each area is then saved individually.

Now when I close down the entire doc and then open it again the frameset doesn't display in one complete page it dislpays in three seperate window, like an excel document which different spread sheets.

Does that make sense ?? So what I want to know is how do I view it as a Whole?

Nayla

kona72
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Nayla,

You have to ensure tha you are opening up the frameset.htm file not the individual frames.

It may also help to open the frmaes panel to view the frames that way. From the file menu choose window>frames

Nayla
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Nayla,

You have to ensure tha you are opening up the frameset.htm file not the individual frames.

It may also help to open the frmaes panel to view the frames that way. From the file menu choose window>frames

Hi K

Thnks for the help but again I think I'm not explaining myself properly as I've taken on board all the info everyone's provided AND read the Dreamweaver basics all today and a bit of yesterday and still have the same problem in getting my files to all show in one window rather than 3 seperate frames as it is doing presently.

Thank you again
N