PDA

View Full Version : need help with mysql

edbr
01-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi
I have created a mysql database on my site and have added a form to search. I get access denied however when I use it. I am sure this is a permisions problem as this works on my testing server. I have used DW and have created recordsets, and have dutifully uploaded connection files.

I want any user to be able to search, though not alter any tables

Can anybody help or know a site where they explain things in big letters and speak very slowly as I am having a problem getting my head around this.
thanks

desertdirk
01-27-2006, 03:12 AM
did you change your connection settings from what you use on your testing server to your remote server?

ie change "localhost"

to "mysql.domain.com"
dd

edbr
01-27-2006, 04:41 AM
no I hadnt. i just canged this and got cant find server.
I have just mailed my hosting guy to ask if they can point me in heright direction.
the form is on an addon domain would this change something.
i have played around with ading users , hosts and anything I can think of.
I have only have db experience with filemaker and (surprise surprise) this is the first time I have tried online.
I will persevere but I am quietly confident I will need further pointers.

Old dog, new tricks=headaches

desertdirk
01-27-2006, 03:06 PM
You will need this information:

the name of the server where the database is
the username of the database--this may or may not be different than you web account username
the password for the database

When you get that information, you can put it in DW and create a live connection to your remote server, add that to your scripts and up load, or edit the connection file with the new info and upload it
dd

edbr
02-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Hi again
Well had all the information but it was as already added. I have played around with site definitionsand am sure this is where I am so wrong.

I have two sites hosted ,www.mysite.com and myaddonsite.com.
In site definition i have tried changing from local server where all was working to ftp. using the setings URL being ww.myaddonsite.com, ftp.mysite.com, but as to host directory I have only had public_html accepted ( apache server). What am I doing wrong???

desertdirk
02-01-2006, 03:35 PM
depends on how they have it set up but try host directory without the www
dd

Creative Insanity
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
to "mysql.domain.com"
No this is incorrect. Leave the mysql server at localhost.
But you will need to change the user name and password and database names for your hosting space. Ask your hoster for these. If you have created the database online then make sure that you connect a user to that database and then use that users details in the connection script.

If it is all working locally then what I would do here is export your database from your dev server, create a database online and then add that data to the newly created database taking note of the database name etc, (some hosters place the cpanel login name infront of a database name.). So that means if your database you created was called search, your hoster may create the database as loginname_search. Then upload all your files (not with dw) online and test with a browser rather than using dw.

desertdirk
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
No this is incorrect. Leave the mysql server at localhost.

This is correct (mysql.domain.com) if mysql is on a different server than the web hosting server. Read this to mean (nameofmysqlserver.domain.com)
dd

edbr
02-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys,
my problem was with my user name which was Login_user and password login_database.
I really apreciate your time and effort to help me, i try to master this stuff but it filters very slowly into my brain.
Now I can go on to find new problems to drive me insane.
Thanks again

Creative Insanity
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Glad to help.

Umm des, as a point of referance if the mysql database was on a differant server then the files then you would replace localhost with the database servers IP address only.

desertdirk
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Glad to help.

Umm des, as a point of referance if the mysql database was on a differant server then the files then you would replace localhost with the database servers IP address only.

Depends on how things are set up. Mine uses the domain name of the server, not the IP address
dd