PDA

View Full Version : If I had hair i'd be pulling out.

TheBaldOne
01-26-2006, 04:13 PM
hopefully someone can help me solve this issue.

ive created a website layout using layers (not tables) and they all align to the left but I really want them in the centre of the page. You know the usual issues, screen resolution.

Reading through past posts there is some ideas for centreing text but thats not the problem.

Trying to put it simply working from the left I have three layers
horizontal dims 5(offset)/110[/b]/5(gap)/520/5(gap)/110
Im not worried about height I just want these three layers to appear centrally whenever viewed.

HELP!!!! :cry:

kona72
01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Why don't you convert to tables and center the tables?
Same effect better layout...

Creative Insanity
01-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Although layers seem to be the in thing they are a pain in the butt to get into place and stay there.. I would use tables also.
Layers in my view are over rated.

domedia
01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
gmcronew wrote a nice tutorials on how to center layers
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php

TheBaldOne
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Right then, I went down the route of converting my layers to tables which has worked great BUT one of my original layers had a vertical scroll bar in it and when converted it vanishes and the table becomes as big as the text needs.

Can I put a vertical scroll bar in a table? If so how?

Cheers

domedia
01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Easy answer, put the layer in the table, just -> insert->layer or whatever it is :) and put the same scroll in there.
(are you sure you want the visitor to have to scroll for the info instead of just displaying it like the table currently does?)

TheBaldOne
01-31-2006, 03:01 PM
ive tried putting a layer within the table but i find when checking the webpage, if i resize the viewable window the tables remain central but the layer stays where it is. :(

domedia
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Put the layer in and don't position it absolutely. If you position it absolutely, it will never move.

Beth
02-06-2006, 11:46 PM
but how do I remove the absolute positioning? I have been tearing my own hear out because of this, I've made the entire site in Layout mode, then decided I really need the text to scroll and can only do it with a layer... BUT the layer floats where I don't want it when I look at it on the browser.
HELP!!!
PLEASE!!!
-Beth
(I've attached a gif of the properties so someone can tell me what to do in regards to my properties palette)

TheBaldOne
02-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Beth

I converted all my layers to tables then inserted a new layer within the table I wanted it then deleted everything out of the L and T sections dont even type in 0. and that worked .

Hope that helps

TheBaldOne

domedia
02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
simply removing the value for L and T would be enough I think

Beth
02-08-2006, 05:15 AM
It doesn't just work to delete the positioning left and top scripting...
See attachment... when I put
position: static
or
position: relative
to position it relative to the parent layer (orange one)
it creates a huge border around my scroll text box... if I put it back to absolute, it floats anywhere.
HELP!
Beth.

TheBaldOne
02-08-2006, 08:35 AM
a little confused but to get the scroll to line up with the orange area have you given the width of the layer the same width as the orange area?

I found when I inserted the layer into the table it showed the layer offset to the table but i igored that and gave it the same width as the table and when you preview it, it all lined through.

Other than that I dont know enough to help you further.

TheBaldOne

Creative Insanity
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Nice responce TBO, but I think that the orange area is the div.

domedia
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Beth, you really should post the code/url. It's impossible to fix this problem purely verbally.

Beth
02-08-2006, 11:43 PM
here is the script:

<div id="Layer3" style="position:static; width:307px; height:274px; overflow: auto; padding: 15px;">
<p align="left" class="style14 style18"><span class="style15">Established in July 2001, CardSprint is an authorised distributor of Plastic card products and services for Placard Pty Ltd (Australia &rsquo;s leading plastic card manufacturer) within the South Australian and Western Australian markets.

More recently, CardSprint has expanded its Corporate Branding product offering to include Corporate Gifts and Apparel. We have established a relationship with one of Adelaide&rsquo;s most successful suppliers, to ensure our Corporate Gift and Apparel range is as extensive and competitive as our plastic card products and services.

Depending on the desired outcome of your plastic card </span><span class="style16">program or Corporate event, CardSprint can supply a competitively priced product to suit your needs. </span></p>
<p align="left" class="style16"><span class="style18">Our Corporate Partners: </span>

Cards: Placard - www.placard.com.au (http://www.placard.com.au)

Printers: Datacard - www.datacard.com.au (http://www.datacard.com.au)

Corporate Gifts: Profile Partners - www.profilepartners.com.au (http://www.profilepartners.com.au)</p>
</div>

Beth
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
the orange bit is not the div, the orange part is in the layout mode and because I chose to have the div position static, it has expanded the size of the orange field even though i specify to have the div the same size, it even pushes all of my header images out of whack (so I put them all back)... for better and more info, see the site... www.cardsprint.com.au

Thanks,
Beth.