PDA

View Full Version : Best way to backup in case of computer crash?

fishugly
01-25-2006, 03:11 AM
All my web site work thus far is in one big folder on my C drive inside My Documents.

Most of the files are HTM along with some DWT (templates) and Fireworks (images).

I'm using DW MX & Windows XP Home Edition.

Advice for this computer illiterate would be greatly appreciated.

chriskq
01-25-2006, 04:56 AM
thats a little too easy. So many options (a few are)

1. Backing up using CD or DVD burner (does your computer have one or both)
2. Purchase some webspace (ftp'ing doc's onto to their server acts as a backup)
3. Purchase a usb flash drive 128mb -> 1gig (so cheap these days, {check ebay})
4. Hardcore backinng up - purcahse a external usb hard drive

that help?

dreamlynx
01-25-2006, 05:40 AM
preach on brother.

davidj
01-25-2006, 07:59 AM
if you dont have any of that stuff the first point of call would be to partition your C drive into a backup partition. The chances of your OS going down is greater than your HD going down.

I always create a backup partition and it has saved me more than once

fishugly
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks, every one.

Some times I just need confirmation on what I think I know. Perhaps I'll gain a little computer confidence some day......

desertdirk
01-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I use a seperate physical hard drive for all my data. That way if the OS and/or the c: drive crash I still have my data.

The real point in usig cd's, thumb drive, tape drive, or external hard drive is to allow you to store the info off-site. That is the advantage to using remote storage on some server, but you could run into bandwidth problems.

I lost everything I owned in a fire 2 years ago. I literally threw one computer and monitor out the window, grabbed my list of passwords and got out. Lost all my software, and 3 other computers. So if you back up to an external media, save it somewhere else. I think you can never have too many backups
DD

davidj
01-25-2006, 04:18 PM
idealy you want to ghost your entire drive

you will thank yourself for doing it when you have to do a clean build after a year or so

fishugly
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
In attempting to save to a CD, I get the following messages:

Confirm Stream Loss
The file 'Thumbs' has extra info attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file any way?

I said "yes" and proceeded to save. To test, I then tried to open my template from the CD and got the message:

TEMPLATE.DWT is a read only file & can be viewed but not changed. What would you like to do with this file: View, Make Writable or Cancel

Question 1.

I assume making the TEMPLATE.DWT file writable will allow me to go in & work should I lose my computer,...correct?

Question 2.

Also, most of my work consists of HTM files which, from my CD, only open in my browser as if using the DW preview function. What good is that file if my system crashed? I suppose one just copies the Page Source code and pastes in to the template. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it!

Creative Insanity
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
The idea behind backing up is not for use but for storage.

So let's say that windows had one of it's many mentals and crashed to the floor and you were forced to reinstall it and all your programs as well.
No biggie as at the end of the new install you would just copy all your backed up data to your harddrive again and walla.. done.

Don't use windows cd write option, that is sad and a typical MS product and we all know about them ah. Use a third party writing programs such as Nero or NTI.

fishugly
01-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks, CI & the others.

What about the following though,..is it some thing to be concerned with? What is a 'Thumbs' file?

Confirm Stream Loss
The file 'Thumbs' has extra info attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file any way?

davidj
01-26-2006, 04:28 PM
What is a 'Thumbs' file?

its a small database that windows XP uses for displaying info about directory contents. I think every dir has one

Creative Insanity
01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
No every one dj. A thumbs.db file is what windows creates when you change the content view to thumbnails or film strip. If you do not display in these modes the thumbs.db is not created.

desertdirk
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
fishugly
in other words, don't worry about it.

You will see it a lot when copying info from XP to a cd. Sometimes happens on .exe files as well. Not sure what info is not being copied, but I have never had a problem.

When the files are copied to the cd, they are marked as read-only because you can't edit them on the cd. Like CI said, you need to copy the files from the cd to your hard drive and can then edit them
dd

fishugly
01-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Awesome! I appreciate it guys.