PDA

View Full Version : What are the pro's and cons of using layers?

RedBoy
01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi all,
Im used to using either flash or photoshop where you can place an image or some text any where you like on a page. I have heard that it isn't a great idea to use layers to format the way a web page looks and so I was wondering if anybody could give me some pro's and con's to help me decide how best to create my page using dreamweaver?
Thanks!

Creative Insanity
01-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Many developers are going for divs (layers) and css these days.
I myself still stick with the old fashioned tables.
I do not know the benefits of using just divs and css, but maybe someone else can enlighen you.

domedia
01-24-2006, 03:50 AM
The simple explanation is that your code is semantically more correct id you use layers. If you just want to have a container for something (a layer), then a div tag is probably most accurate. tables are best for tabular data, and code can get pretty messy if you use it for fancy layouts. But many people that has been making websites for a while are so used to tables it's hard to change. 95% of all websites are made with table layout, this forum is as well.

Personally I can say that my most successful websites has been done without tables.. but you can grow grey hairs from it as well ;-) bugs are more common in CSS support.

*if* you choose to use layers, you better learn HTML/CSS as well.

Jim_Shady
01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey.

Er... pretty much agree with Domedia. I like the 'feel' of CSS and DIV's better than tables. You get a better finish to the page and can accomplish more complicated pages without inserting table within table within table.

I think that there is a re-size problem with tables also. They don't shrink to fit pages as well as CSS and DIV's do. This is a really basic site that I whipped up for a client but you can see what I mean about the 'cleaness' of it. Try resizing the window and see how the cat in the top right moves about with the window also. It's just 'nice' .

Funky Paws Website (http://www.funkypaws.co.uk)

Shady.

RedBoy
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks very much for all your replies guy's, they all helped me out.

Creative Insanity
01-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I think that there is a re-size problem with tables also. They don't shrink to fit pages as well as CSS and DIV's do.
Totally disagree with that comment sorry. If you use percentages then you will see.
Just look at my control table vtm and you will see that tables resize just as good as a div and they are WAY easier to control in my view.
As for a div site looking better, disagree again. You show me any div/css site and I bet your last dollar I can create EXACTLY the same with tables.

dreamlynx
01-25-2006, 11:54 PM
I agree with CI tha comment about the tables is incorrect. Nicely put CI