PDA

View Full Version : Uploading MDB?

rich
01-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Hello, for the last month or so, ive been using IIS. As my database has grown, ive now found that my MDB is over 8MB. Ive yet to upload anything to a server......im wondering, is there some way to go around uploading a MDB? IE, say i wanted just one extra record - I dont want to have to upload the whole MDB file each time. Thanks :)

davidj
01-23-2006, 01:53 PM
do a select query on your new data then export it as a comma delimited file
then import into your live db

rich
01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks, but how can someone expord a CDF into the server, and alter the MDB file? The whole thing is running MDB....the file must be exact as a MDB extention? cheers.

davidj
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
i was thinking again about this and there is a LINK TABLE function in access

i was sure you could use http://10.5.123.321/tester/db1.mdb as a path to your live db but i have tried unsuccessfully

the other option is to export to a csv and write a bit of ASP to do the load

There may be some sync tools out there for access. I know there a a few for us MYSQL users

or just upgrade to mySQL

sorry i cant be any further help...

desertdirk
01-25-2006, 01:44 AM
I went round and round trying to link an Access database on my local machine to my hosts server. Finally figured out that my ISP was blocking port 1443 and 1444 (which access uses) because of the damage the sasser worm created attacking mssql servers.

If the ports are open you should be able to make a connection then link the tables and sync the data
dd

rich
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
thank you all for the help. desertdirk, we do have out dedicated server running Windows 2000. Could you possibly explain how to link a MDB (in my PC) to our dedicated server so we dont have to keep on uploading the MDB please (or a link somewhere on the net?). Cheers.

davidj
01-25-2006, 10:43 AM
you could upload a seperate db in a seperate dir which only contains your updates (sync directory)
then do a small script to poll through and update your master db using INSERTS from your sync db

when finished just remove / delete the temp db

if you were using php i would have written it for you

desertdirk
01-25-2006, 03:50 PM
rich
here is one link, http://www.ehow.com/how_13633_link-data-another.html
but it goes like this:

I sounds like you have already uploaded the mdb to the server and don't want to have to keep doing that. If so:

open the database on your client machine, click "file->get external data" then select "link". Browse to the database on the server and select it. You should then get a dialog box asking for the tables you want to link. follow the prompts. This is assuming that you are using MS Access.

You can also connect MS Access to a MYsql database using ODBC. You need to download the mysql odbc driver and install it then set up a connection.
DD