PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please!

gregfindley.com
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here so be kind!!!

I've taught myself to use Dreamweaver over the past few months, and have put together a couple of basic sites;

My Webpage ('http://www.gregfindley.com')

(Thats my portfolio one)

And a site I done for local sports team...

EKCB ('http://www.crusadersbasketball.co.uk')

Just after some feedback in terms of improving on these (Please Note: some of the content/areas may not be accessible as the sites arent completely finished!)

Any suggestions you can offer are appreciated!

Greg Findley

Creative Insanity
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
They are both pretty basic.. but do the job I guess.

The football one needs to have the rollover images load before displaying the page as that broken link image when you click on a link just before the text changes to yellow is not pro looking.

You could of actually done that with CSS as they are only text links really in an image. So I would of done that with the blue bg as a colour and then add the text and active colour with css.

davidj
01-19-2006, 03:26 PM
for a Graphic Media student they are quite bland

thought all you arty types go overboard when it comes to this stuff

try my fav link to get ideas what other arty types are upto in this web world

http://www.cwd.dk/

look at the left menu under inspiration and you will get some ideas

try and get a site published on cwd then you know you have the mojo topped with a respect overdose

gregfindley.com
01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Thnaks for ur replies (the inspiration page has given me a few ideas! -I'm normally design print based so still working on skills of transferring this to the web!)

Can you tell me how to set my images so they preload?

Thanks,
Greg

Creative Insanity
01-19-2006, 04:04 PM
There should be a check box on the diolog that you fill in for your images etc.

Have alook at the image below.

gregfindley.com
01-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Got it thanks!

Does anyone know of any tutorials on the web for starting of in flash!?

Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 07:58 AM
www.flashkit.com

Creative Insanity
01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes flashkit would have the best flash tuts on the web.
Over whelming site, but look at it very closely as there is a heap of info there.

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Ok thanks I'll take a look round that!

Ive had a look around cwk.dk as suggested and the inspiration page and a lot,if not, all of the sites seem to be flash? ....(or am i wrong!?)

....Just been reading another topic in the design forum about using flash for site design (99% Bad)....

What im getting round to....does anyone know of or own a good "well designed" site that is html, perhaps an online portfolio (as i will be attempting) or design company?

Thanks,
Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 02:42 PM
.(or am i wrong!?)

yes your wrong. There is alot of flash stuff but not all

cwd.dk is there for inspiration so you can gather ideas from it. Its not hard to find a pleasing color scheme in a flash site and use it in your own html.

Just been reading another topic in the design forum about using flash for site design (99% Bad)....

flash can be over used quite easily but there is room for it. You have to be a good flash developer to pull it off though

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 03:04 PM
yes your wrong. There is alot of flash stuff but not all

I had a feeling someone might say that!

Ok i'll take a look around, what would you say is the best way to design a site... with a fixed width? changing width? centered? etc

Thanks for your quick replies!

Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
what would you say is the best way to design a site... with a fixed width? changing width? centered? etc

thats like saying what colors should i use when designing a site

( fixed , changing, centered)
each adds its own feel so its part of the design. You have loads of options and styles to play with. Please dont let anyone tell you you should do this or that coz they are wrong. The more you design the more comfortable you will become with your own decisions and styles

look around on CWD and see whats going on. If you like something you see (flash or html) then absorb the design and make it your own. This is the quickest way to learn

remember this. If you design a great site someone out there will comment on the font being too small or that they DONT LIKE GREEN!!!!!.... or blue or black.

you will never please everyone but as long as you please the majority your on the right tracks

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I wont use green, blue or black then... :lol:

Thanks for your replies,
soon as Ive done my new design Il post it on here!

Greg

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi ...again..

Just been browsing cwk.dk again, and seen a feature on the website for Ryan Giggs, http://www.ryangiggs.cc/v2/ that i really liked and would like to incorporate in one of my own designs...

Just wondering if anyone could advise me if its possible to create the scroll down boxes like theyve used for the latest news section, in dreamweaver as html?

Thanks,
Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
if its online then of course its possible

Creative Insanity
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah they can be done with either an iframe or ranjan's css scroller (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php).
I would personally make them with an iframe as you can name it and then use it as a target object.

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
OK Il give that a go thanks!!

http://www.nov1.nl/- Ive found my inspiration! What a brilliant site! I felt the need to have to click all the links on the portfolio page so they all had the blue box! (sad isnt it!)

Thanks,
Greg

Creative Insanity
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
That is a flash site. Pretty basic when it comes to flash though.

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Would it be difficult to create something similar to that in Flash for someone with no experience of Flash?!
(I have experience of AI/PS)

Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 04:01 PM
you can create some nice flash stuff using basic techniques which will make you want to learn the more advanced stuff

domedia
01-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Would it be difficult to create something similar to that in Flash for someone with no experience of Flash?!
(I have experience of AI/PS)

Greg
It will be impossible..
Like anything else it takes years of experience to be really good at something :)

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
It will be impossible..
Like anything else it takes years of experience to be really good at something

Theres no such thing as impossible! ( :? ...blind optomism!)

So for a flash site its going to take quite a lot of experience before I can get something looking reasonably good?

I want to learn!! 8)

How did you guys originally learn flash? through experience with jobs/work? courses? self-taught?
Does anyone recommend any good books for learning flash basics?!

Thanks,
Greg

davidj
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
stat here

www.flashkit.com

Creative Insanity
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Does anyone recommend any good books for learning flash basics?!
Ain't books used to prop up a table leg? LOL
I am not good at flash, but with PS and DW and in fact my music production I learnt by trial and error. You know when you do something that totally screws things up and you say.. Oh damn.. never do that again.

gregfindley.com
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Ain't books used to prop up a table leg? LOL

Thats where iv been goin wrong!! All these years of a wonky table :lol:

Trial & error here i come!

Greg

Creative Insanity
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
That is the best way I recon. You could sit there for hours reading a book and have nothing done, but with trial and error, in the time it would take to read that book you could of done atleast a dozen oh damns.. and so that is a dozen things learnt and look at the money you saved. LOL